Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Not impressed with Whistler/Blackcomb
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
deeken

Default Not impressed with Whistler/Blackcomb

My wife and I decided to go to Whistler for our honeymoon. This was pretty much my idea. Its been rated the top ski resort in world by just about every magazine and a lot of people here spoke highly about it. I was very stoked about the trip and was looking forward to hitting some nice pow.

We were in Whistler the week of Feb 28 till March 3rd and we boarded for 3 days. I am not looking to trash these 2 mountains nor am I trying to discourage anyone from going but I want to give my honest opinion/review.

I've never been to a more massive ski resort in my life. The mountains are just enormous. I was completely awestruck when I saw the mountains. From the trail maps it seems like there were more trails than I would ever get a chance to ride. My wife and I hit Blackcomb the first day and Whistler the next 2 days.

We did most of the blue trails on Blackcomb the first day. It seems like the green tails were a little crowded and some traversing was required. I started off on the Expressway and soon realized it was a waste of time. The blue trails such as Springboard and Ross's gold were a bit more enjoyable but there were patches of ice that you had to watch out for. Yes ice. I only thought this was a North East thing. Never the less we had a decent time on Blackcomb that day. I did enjoy the left side of the mountain and trails like the Ridge runner, Twist and shout and Rock n'Roll.

Whistler was a little more enjoyable but there were way too many trails that required traversing and moguls. All the Creekside trails had annoying moguls and were just not meant for snowboarders. All the bowls were completely traveled on with not a single area of fresh snow. I made the mistake of taking the Upper Peak to creek trail to the Lower Peak to Creek and had the bumpy ride all the way down. If the trail was nice and smooth it would have been a lot of fun. There were not a lot of people on this trail and I would have enjoyed it.
The trails on the left such as the Harmony were fun but if you went down Marmot you were stuck and had to get off your board and walk to the lift. You also had to Traverse up top on Harmony as well. Also these trails were quick and over before you knew it. The best run in my opinion was the upper peak to creek to Highway 86 but this required 3 lifts to get to from the bottom. It just seems like I was on the cot damn lift more than I was on the trails.

On our last day (Friday) the mountain was cloudy. A front came in and cover 2/3 of the mountain with a blanket blinding fog. This lasted till Sunday. You could only ride the middle of each mountain. The top and bottom of the mountains were covered in a fog so dense you could barely see 5 feet in front of you. It was a pretty hairy experience riding through that and we decided that it was best to call it a day after a few runs.

All in all I left Whistler/Blackcomb underwhelmed with no desire to ever return. Here were my major complaints:
1- Blackcomb snow conditions were not that good with lots of ice patches. (I thought this was supposed to be the best snow on the planet)
2- Several trails on both mountains required traversing and way too many trails with moguls.
3- If it gets a little cloudy it gets dangers and the trails with visibility get very crowded.
4- Too many lifts to get to the top. I don't care what people say their lifts and not fast moving.
5- Fun trails are short.

As I said, this is just my opinion. I guess I was to excited and got my hopes up too much about this resort that I ended up being disappointed. I strongly believe Whistler/Blackcomb is a skier's mountain and would suggest snowboarders save their money and go elsewhere.

Last edited by deeken; 03-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
deeken is offline   Reply With Quote