Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - snowboard beginner needing advices!
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombaco
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's definitely a money saver in the long run to wax and tune your own board, and it's really easy to do. The links in this thread have great do it yourself info on board maintenance: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tip...ce-videos.html If you don't like those, there's a quite a few board tuning / waxing vids on you tube. There's other threads in the tips, tricks & instructors section with more specifics on waxing and tuning as well (like plexiglass vs. metal scrapers, etc.).

I personally use the Dakine Super Tune Kit, gave me everything I needed. For wax I can't say how the Hertel performs, as I haven't used it yet, but I've been working my way through trying every brand to see what I like best. Dakine, Swix, and Toko have been ok. My favorite so far has been a combo of One Ball Jay 4WD Cold and Black Magic Graphite. I'll probably move onto Hertel or some other brand after those bars are used up. I favor supporting your local shop even if it's priced a bit more than online retailers, but I would think there's has to be some online Canadian retailers so you don't have the import shipping high cost, if you go that route.

I don't have many tricks down yet, but I started doing straight airs on small to medium jumps (throwing in shifty's and 180s occasionally the last couple times out) and 50-50 boxes this season. Most of this season I've focused on starting to do true carving, riding switch and in the trees (when there's enough snow). But trick progression is entirely up to what you want to do. There's a lot of resources out there to help you learn most everything- Snowboard Addiction covers a ton freestyle tricks (they have a few up on youtube as well), and the tips, tricks & instructors section in this forum has a ton of useful info as well. Post a vid of your riding in that section and people will give you tips on what to work on, how to do things. etc.

And yes, right foot in front is goofy.
Zombaco is offline   Reply With Quote