Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - GoPro Hero 2 VS Contour Plus
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The111 View Post
I have the GoPro 1 and 2, and while the 2 has much better low light quality, it eats batteries quite a bit faster, which you WILL notice on the mountain. A simple test I did shows that just powered on in standby, the GoPro1 drains a battery in 3h50m, while the GoPro2 only lasts 2h50m (I used the same battery in each test, and both cameras ship with the same battery). Obviously both of those numbers shrink a lot if you are recording. For most of the day (i.e. not right at sunset), unless you are riding deep in trees, the GoPro1 is probably good enough on its quality related to the lighting... and it is also a LOT cheaper right now. After our last time on the mountain with the GoPro2 dying on us way too soon, we decided to use it only for SCUBA from now on, and use the GoPro1 for snowboarding.
Again I can't speak for the Contour +, but I had the Roam out last saturday for about 2 hours. Since it's never in standby mode (just slide it on and it turns on and starts recording all in one) it only drains the battery when you're recording. I took 19 videos each about 5 mins long and when I got home the battery was about 50% when I plugged it into the comp. This was recording in the "tall HD mode" 1280x960 @ 30 fps. It can record in 1080p but it's upscaling to get that, and I wanted a good portion of the nose of the board in my shots for some perspective.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote