Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - effective edge compared to length for a non-pow board
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
thanks for all the info. when i bought my first board i just kind of looked for something long enough that wasnt super expensive. now that im really looking into board specs and looking for a certain style board, there is so much more information clouding any decision. i was looking at the NS line and how on their freestyle boards, the effective edge is larger than other boards i was looking at that were 3+cm longer. i was looking to go no smaller than 162/163 but lets say i grabbed a NS 160, would i have problems in a couple inches of fresh snow? ive never ridden in powder and cant imagine that faceplanting from the nose diving would be much fun, so im just wondering if this type of thing is a problem in a small amout of powder. ill be able to ride my much longer board i have now if i make it into the powder.
No, you will not have problems riding a Never Summer in a few inches of snow. As I mentioned, I was grossly simplifying the issue, how the nose is "curled" upward is important too... and Never Summer (among other companies) has it figured out. I have a Never Summer Proto CT 154 and it was fine in snow 6-8 inches deep.

It mostly happens when you are riding over a foot of fresh of snow and you get some air over a drop or a mound of windblown powder... if you shift you weight too far forward you will land like my friend in this video. It's actually not very painful to flip in the powder... the problem is that it is very difficult, tiring to get back up afterwards as your body is stuck in what feels like quicksand (you board can be buried under a lot of heavy snow and your arms just plunge through the snow so it is hard to push yourself up).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote