Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Review: 2013 NS Cobra, Raptor, Heritage, Premier F1 & Proto
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
RaID

Weather: Blue bird
Snow Conditions: chopped powder with minimal 30cm fresh lines, soft groomers, icy groomers
Time: Roughly spent 90 mins with the board

160 Proto CT

Riding impression:

The following day I spent some time with the Proto. I choose the 160 to test so that I could make as direct comparison to my 161 SL as possible. The Proto was much lighter and straight away felt like a very fun versatile board. I would image it would make spins a lot easier. The flex felt slightly softer than the SL and there was more pop when I loaded up the tail. The proto also provided more feedback to the rider than the SL. However you had to pay more attention to the edge loading when trying to hold a big carve at speed, despite the fact that it had a longer effective edge than the 161 SL. Being a true twin, switch riding was excellent. Powder floatation was similar to the SL and Heritage, that is the weight needed to be shifted back to pop the nose above the snow.

Rider in mind:
All mountain rider that was more interested in playing around and some park riding than laying down big fast carves on groomers and looking for a board that could still hold its own in the powder.

Other comments:

I was definitely a fan of this board. It achieves perfectly the playfulness of an all mountain board without sacrificing too much carving ability and stability at speed. Definitely would be part of 2 board quiver for me.

Can’t say I was too disappointed in the graphics, I thought the board looked very good in person.

Summary/personal preference for me:

One board quiver – 161 Cobra if you see decent amounts of powder, otherwise 161 SL
Two board quiver – 160 Proto CT playing around and general riding, 164 or maybe 159 Raptor for the fast charging and powder days.

Last edited by RaID; 03-14-2012 at 07:28 AM.
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote