Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - snowolf - how NOT to do skidded turns on ice
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstx1017 View Post
I guess I'm just not sure how you should ride in certain terrain. I was watching people on the chairlifts and they ALL seemed to be skidding their turns - only saw a few with a pencil line and they were just plain bombing - something I just will not ever want to do.
So, when it is hard packed groomed like that and makes that awful icy noise, do you just point your board straight down the mountain with quick heel edge turns? Guess I just need to know how to ride in these conditions.
The run did look hard packed with enough give to carve...evidenced by a few that were bombing/carving pencil lines and as noted carving on those snow conditions is an advanced skill that requires being comfortable at bombing speeds.

Btw loosing it at those speeds is not generally not that big of deal...often you are already relatively close to the ground and the trick is to just slide to burn off some speed...and hopefully not crash into anything or one. The thing to be aware of is to keep your board in the air till you slow down; cause if don't it will catch and send you flying/flipping and/or jam/rip up some joints which is alot worse than just some soft tissue bruising or rash from sliding.