Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - snowolf - how NOT to do skidded turns on ice
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
NoirX252

In advanced skidded/carved turns, you do not wait for your board to point downhill, you immediately engage the downhill edge.

Extreme case: low aggressive carve, you would actually be carving the start of the turn inverted.. upside down.... especially on a steep pitch

Working the top of the turn lets you control speed, skidded or carved.

Waiting for the board to point downhill before engaging edge will lead to speed buildup.

Just listen to snow wolf.

PS: didn't watch the video, but based on the explanations. (I've seen the video before but am not watching it now)

they are keeping it pointed downhill cause they want it to. Either cause they don't mind the speed build up.. or the conditions are slow, or they are digging into the pack hard enough to control speed via edge penetration depth.

There are 3 ways to control speed.

1. skidding
2. turn shape
3. how deep you dig the edge in... (if you are an advanced rider, you can dig into frozen granular very deeply on a carve and slow down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstx1017 View Post
CASI Level 2 Standards 2010 - YouTube,

Okay, this video helped and I see what others have said that I am not letting my board point downhill to engage on the edge. I think I was doing better two weeks ago, but the icy conditions this past weekend set me back. I see what I should be doing - on the above video the long lazy s-turns is what I am striving for. At my age all I want to do is easily go down the hills - not interested in speed. The hardest part is that in seeing the carving videos you really have to bend your knees on your toe edge and I think that is going to be my major issue. I already have a very bad right knee and bending causes a lot of pain - so I am beginning to think that if I can just get to s-turns on a higher edge will be where I want to end up.

I can tell that yesterdays turns were more z-like turns and I was just afraid that if I didn't do z-like turns I would NEVER stop slidding.

Thanks for the comments and I will try again this weekend! Wish me luck!

Last edited by NoirX252; 03-13-2012 at 01:00 AM.
NoirX252 is offline   Reply With Quote