Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - DIY Longboard Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
boarderaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprider_capita View Post
I am planning on learning to longboard this summer , and I need advice from anybody with decent experience with building their own longboards and such. I am currently building a longboard out of strips of pine glued together that was being used as a shelf rack. I cut it to 42" long by 8.5 wide and it is a little under 3/4in thick, it is fairly flexible and seems very solid. But i advice if it should be concaved or cambered, etc. I also want to know what would be a good shape to go with and what wheels and trucks i should get? any advice would be appreciated.
Pine is not a commonly used material in longboard building. Most beginner builders usually use baltic birch, maple and/or bamboo. As for the board itself, camber or concave depends on what you want. Do you want flex? Do you want a more solid grip with your shoes? It's definitely possible to make a board with both, though that is hard to press. As for what's a good shape, take a look at major manufacturers like Rayne and Landyachtz and see what they're making. And for trucks, wheels and bearings, depending on how wide your board is, you could consider 9" or 10" Calibers, 150 or 180 Randals/Paris, cheap bearings and 78 or 81a Flashbacks as a starting point. Check out www.silverfishlongboarding.com if you want more info. There's SO much information out there, take the time to google your questions.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote