Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - DIY Longboard Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
gprider_capita

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
Pine is not a commonly used material in longboard building. Most beginner builders usually use baltic birch, maple and/or bamboo. As for the board itself, camber or concave depends on what you want. Do you want flex? Do you want a more solid grip with your shoes? It's definitely possible to make a board with both, though that is hard to press. As for what's a good shape, take a look at major manufacturers like Rayne and Landyachtz and see what they're making. And for trucks, wheels and bearings, depending on how wide your board is, you could consider 9" or 10" Calibers, 150 or 180 Randals/Paris, cheap bearings and 78 or 81a Flashbacks as a starting point. Check out Silverfish Longboarding - The Longboard Skateboard Community if you want more info. There's SO much information out there, take the time to google your questions.
Thanks for the advice, for the past couple days i have been researching alot on silverfishlongboarding.com and just became a member there today. As for my original plan, the pine broke when i tried pressing it after only soaking it for 5 minutes. Now i'm using solid poplar wood and it is going to be a 42 in long by 8 in wide by 3/4 in thick and i will make a concave with either a hand planer or table saw or both. This will not be a serious everyday rider but more of a art peice as i will be making it as a art project and wood shop project and will ride it till i get the proper material to make a nice board.
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote