Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Passed my level 1!
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
aiidoneus
Resident Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoFreshies View Post
i liked that last bit. thats a good point. Im going to take a wild shot and say that my own riding style is not right along with the guide lines of the instructor's book. i guess its about knowing how to change to go from perfect form to your own spin on the form. i think it would be fun to take the class and the course and see where i fall. after teaching a few people i think i have the basics of explaining and teaching the movements.
For CASI it is very similar. At the level one stage they really want to see good intermediate riding. I think as you progress through the levels they are more strict about the movements and body position, which is where snowolf's point comes in. At the advanced level there is a lot more variation.

One big thing for CASI though is that you need to show you can ride at the level you are testing, not above or below. For example I would say I am an intermediate carver. For level 1 they will work on your carving if you can during rider improvement sessions, but if they ask you demonstrate intermediate sliding turns, you must only do sliding turns. One guy in our course was great at carving but had trouble dialing back. He was either on or off.

For the teaching portion, they are extremely strict. You have to exaggerate the movements so it is easy for a beginner to see and understand. You also must break it down into the small parts. When doing pendulum, you can't rotate your upper body. You are only showing pressure in the lead foot. Only once you do power pendulum can you add core rotation.

Regardless of the strictness, I am a much better rider now
aiidoneus is offline   Reply With Quote