Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Depressed...

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  photobetty 
#1 ·
I have been following the forums for a while, but have never posted and this seemed like a good time for it. So today was the last day for the local hills. I hit Roundtop and had a good day, but I am so fucking depressed right now it isn't even funny! Major props to Roundtop, Liberty, and Whitetail for doing what they could with this bullshit winter, but I still feel ripped the fuck off. I know we don;t live in Colorado but goddamn, not one major storm all winter! Before you know it, it is going to be 100 degrees around this bitch. Ugh. Plus, i feel really bad for all the resort employees that missed out on wages because of this stupid ass weather. Sorry, just needed to vent a bit and see if there are any other Mid-Atlantic riders on here that are as pissed off as i am. I figure that we can form a support group if necessary :)

All I can say is...Hurry the fuck up 2012-2013 season!

#2 ·
i hear ya. i'm on the east coast and the conditions absolutely suck. went for a run today and FINALLY got my jumps down, but by the end of the day there were literally giant puddles of soopy slush and water. and it's supposed to be 67 degrees next week.
goodbye, season...goodbye, newly discovered jumping ability. D:

#3 ·
midwest feels your pain bro, closed out the local hill yesterday on an absolutely perfect spring day.

it's good to go out that way, tempers the depression a bit when you get to pick your last day and ride it out. We got hills still open but they're ~4-5hrs north, normally I'd be able to get up there for another weekend or two, but we've got a baby due at the end of the month so I can't really do any late-season travel.

You got 8, probably more like 9 months before you can be back on a board, hope you have a good spring/summer hobby :)

#6 ·
LOL, yeah, my favorite spring/summer hobby involves a tall glass and some Jack Daniels :)

Seriously, I mountain bike and hike in the summer, but it isn't the same as riding.

I hear you though on at least going out on a high note. I had a good day today, I made it out to the mountain over 40 times in the shittiest winter in recent memory, and I learned a bunch of new stuff this year. Not bad at all, but you know how it goes, i'm greedy when it comes to riding time :)

#4 ·
It's pretty much been a shitty season everywhere. My eyes have been on summer activities pretty much ever since March has looked like a bust. Crazy warm and not a flake in sight in most extended forecasts.

At this point, I'd rather just euthanize this season and get onto backpacking season.

#7 ·
It's really amazing exactly how shitty it has been everywhere this year. A friend of mine works at NOAA and he showed me a map that they put out a few weeks ago of the snow cover in the United States this year as compared to last year. Talk about some depressing shit.

Next year has to be better though because it can't get much worse than this.

#8 ·
Grab a longboard. You might find it's an ok sub for snowboarding. I was pissed about our winter too, Liberty (Jiberty) looked like ass all season. 7 Springs last weekend was choice though. Spring days in the park.

I got another 8 or 9 days left then I'm done. Wax those boards up and clean out the bearings and it's time to switch over to skating.

#10 ·
I almost went up to 7 Springs last weekend and I am pissed that I didn't. I went up a few weeks ago when they got 7" of fresh powder and had a blast. That place is fucking awesome! I might try to make it up there again this weekend, but the funds are a bit low at this point due to a trip to England that I have coming up at the end of the month.

I have thought about longboarding, actually considered trying it last year, and given this depressing ass winter, I think I am going to give it a go this year. Any recommendations on boards?

I hear ya on waxing my boards and cleaning the bearings. They are sitting in the corner, taunting me, and while I have the wax and am ready to go, I think I am going to hold out for another week or two before I take care of them...you know, just in case :D

#9 ·
Closing out the season this weekend. Going Thursday and Friday, so I'm hoping the traffic is low so we can get some park laps filmed.

Last weekend I went out and it was 65 degrees. Boarded in a T-shirt all day and ended up with a wicked sunburn and nearly got a concussion. I hit a sun baked spot going ~45 MPH and took the hit on my dome first.

At any rate, I'm not ready for summer. I have plenty to do in the warm months, but I'm not ready to be done progressing with my riding.

Let's pray for a brutally early and mega-deep dumper of a winter in '12-'13.

#13 ·
Good luck this weekend dude, shred the shit out of that place :D

The thought of loosing my progression is what is eating away at me right now. I mean, damn, two days ago I was hitting some killer shit, and now here I am sitting in 80 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt. It fucking blows.

Agreed, we need the snow gods to hook us up big time next year. They have been warned...

#11 ·
Yeah Snowolf, my buddies in Tahoe have been begging me to come out. But, I have two weddings to fly back east for this summer then heading back to Kauai this fall. Travel budget is just shot.

Actually, looking at the calender, the 1st wedding is in two weeks. Set your calendar Coloradans, it's gonna dump the last few days of March and first week of April.

#14 ·
Snowolf, many thanks for the invite my friend. I sincerely appreciate it. In all seriousness, I am leaving for England for a family thing in two weeks, but when i get back I might be able to get the funds together to come out by the end of May if things are still kicking out there. Actually, I can take leave the last week in May with no problems. I'll keep you posted, now I just need to resist the urge to look at airfare because I need to save my funds right now for this other trip!

#16 ·
I am not counting on it. The scientific data suggests that with the exception of cyclic osculations, this is something we better get used to as the global average temperature continues to rise. I am not making any kind of political point here and am not even going to go into why I think this is happening, but from a purely scientific point of view, it is obviously occurring and at an increasing rate:

Canada is also facing the same problem:

"So we are continuing to see a trend toward higher temperatures. Even with the cooling effects of a strong La Nina influence and low solar activity for the past several years, 2011 was one of the 10 warmest years on record."

Can you imagine how bad it would have been had we had an El Nino instead of a La Nina and then if the sun had been in a solar maximum cycle:

Hansen said he expects record-breaking global average temperature in the next two to three years because solar activity is on the upswing and the next El Nino will increase tropical Pacific temperatures.

Sand boarding anyone?

Wow, that really puts into perspective just how fucked up things really were this year. I knew Canada had a warm year but damn, I didn't realize it was quite that bad. The reality is that while I am an eternal optimist, I know that we are in for a real ride with the way all of these changes are occurring. I have a friend that lives in Argentina and she was telling me how they were reaching daytime highs of 114 degrees a few weeks ago! Seriously, with the way our local hills struggled this year, if it were an El Nino year, I doubt we would have had a season at all. I mean, the NAO, which is the harbinger of East coast snowstorms, was abnormally positive most of the winter. This shit certainly isn't normal, and I wonder if there is anything we can do as a community that is wholly reliant on snowfall, aside from the basic outreach and education stuff, to get people to wake up to the science on this. I know it has become a major political issue, but it shouldn't be one. I mean, who the fuck wants to live in an oven all the fucking time?

I would love to hear your thoughts on what is causing this Snowolf. I have mad respect for you from following this forum, and i would love to get your take on things. Send me a PM if you want to talk more and keep it off of the forum.

#17 ·
I would love to hear your thoughts on what is causing this Snowolf. I have mad respect for you from following this forum, and i would love to get your take on things. Send me a PM if you want to talk more and keep it off of the forum.

Guess what happened around 1750? The Industrial Revolution

The world has been trending warmer since the last ice age. Global warming isn't the concern. The rapid increase in the rate of global warming is the concern.

#18 ·
Guess what happened around 1750? The Industrial Revolution

The world has been trending warmer since the last ice age. Global warming isn't the concern. The rapid increase in the rate of global warming is the concern.
Nice graphic, I might have to use this when I am picking fights with people on this issue :cheeky4:

Also, I completely agree, the problem isn't global warming per say, but it is the accelerated rate in which it is occurring. I mean, all you have to do is look at the Arctic ice shelves that have broken apart the past few years, or the disappearance of glaciers on Kilimanjaro to see how fucking quickly this shit is proceeding. Sure, glaciers collapse and ice shelves melt, it has happened on this planet before, and it will happen again, but it has never happened this rapidly, and therein lies the problem.

#20 ·
on the plus side, they say the earth has mechanisms in place that actually take place when things get too out of balance. supposedly what's keeping everything past new england and europe relatively warm is an ocean current that brings water from the gulf. i believe the pacific has something similar in a whirlpool that essentially circulates the water like a washing machine. however, as glaciers melt into the oceans the currents will get redirected or stop working altogether. this would kick off an ice age that would kind of be a boon? lol

it's not really just theory either, as they've noticed that gradual rising temperatures in the past tended to culminate in an ice age. it's why our buddy al gore said as global warming kicks up, we'll have shorter but more extreme winters...

#25 ·
I'm with you on that! I just learned to snowboard this year, and most of it was at Whitetail. They really did do a decent job considering the average total snowfall for this area over the whole season was mere inches. Luckily I managed to make it out to CO last week for one last fling. I feel frustrated because I was JUST getting the hang of it the last two times I went (I finally made it past the painful part and got to the fun part!), and now the season is essentially over! Sigh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.