Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - snowolf - how NOT to do skidded turns on ice
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
srdeo

Also try to get a damper board, i think it should help with knees. And it will be better on ice.
Something like frostbite edges (burton) can help on ice also

But i think riding on icy condition is like driving a car thru loose conditions like they do in rally cars.
Rally cars slide (drift) their turns because it gives them most control. If you are already sliding you dont loose much control when it slides little more. Worst moment is when you are locked in a carving turn and loose grip all of sudden.

I think you can also trying to switch edges little slower. Transition seems too quick (more like kicking to change direction). You seem to be much smoother with the transition in the old video. It's like driving on ice or snow. When you change lane you have to it more gradual if you do it too quick you lose control.

Also board has to line up more with the direction you are moving.
Think of it as your board is always straight (kind of like bombing down the hill... it point to direction you want to go). in carving turns, Board edge angle combinded with board flex and side cut make the board turn. At same side cut more angle+ more board flex means tighter turns. There really is no steering, you steer thru board flex and side cut (reason why stiffer board are easier to carve). Not by kicking your back foot or not by lifting back foot and moving it over (twisting).

Also try to make bigger/wider turns (more traversing). Your whole turn (from apex of heelside turn to apex of toeside) is about 20ft wide. To carve that tight you would be draggin your elbows on the snow. You need more grip(better snow condition) to make tigher turns so making bigger turn will help you in carving.

If you know someone who can carve really well ask them to make slow wide carving turns and follow them. You will learn where to initiate turns, what to do in the turn, where to get out of the turn, when to switch edge etc. You will realize it is completely different from skidded turn.

Risers can help if you already know how to carving, i dont think it will make someone carve all of sudden. You first have to learn to use your edges first.
In your case, riser may help with your knees since alot of them provide dampening. Dampness of a board is like having shock absorber in your car. If there is nothing to absorb the bumps your back is probably going to be real sore after driving.

Don't discourage yourself too much. I think you are doing really good for someone with one year of riding.
If it was easy, it would not be as fun to learn.

Last edited by srdeo; 03-15-2012 at 12:08 AM.
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote