Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2012-13 trip west
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
neednsnow
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post

My recommendations based on personal experience flying from the Midwest are to stay East of the coast; travelling to the PacNW or Cali adds a few more hours to the flight and it's more of a hassle since you lose a full day on each end to travel there's no way around it, so a 3 days on the mountain means 5 days trip, 5 days rental car, 5 nights lodging, etc. but if money's no object or time off work is no problem then the world be your oyster.
What he said. Particularly the part about wasting a full day or two of travel. SLC is probably your best bet. It is cheaper than colorado, generally gets more snow than colorado (Steamboat Springs may be different, but that's a hell of a distance from DIA), and the distance between trail to airport is like 45 minutes for a number of resorts. That is a killer selling point for me. I've ridden many times till 2:30 and still was able to return the rental car and catch my 5:00 flight. Can't do that in CO or Tahoe, and many of the other places are regional airports that require multiple stops.