Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - snowolf - how NOT to do skidded turns on ice
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Casual
Veteran Member

Hi Vicky,

Let me give you a few tips that I have not seen in this thread yet. Firstly, I was unable to watch the video but I get the point from what others said. I've been riding for 24 years in every condition and terrain imaginable and let me tell you this... Ice sucks, simple as that. I personally ride a lot of park, so my edges are as dull as they come, so when it comes to ice I have no chance but my tactic is to bomb, not advisable to new riders or the weak of heart. Here are my suggestions:

1. If you ride a lot of icey conditions, make sure you have sharp edges. Just be very careful not to hook them on hardpack when your getting too relaxed (always get your toes/heels off the ground so you dont catch)

2. Stay off the middle of the run. When it starts getting icy, its usually much worse in the middle of the run, 95% of the riders fly down the middle. If you move over to the tree line I bet you can find some nice snow (it all gets kicked over there) and it might not even be icy at all.

3. try some runs that are not as busy. Ice is more often found on the busier runs, so the less travelled paths might be in better condition.

4. Do not get discouraged, just do your best and know that you will be that much better on the next snowday!

good luck!!
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote