Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Question about lessons
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cycle4Fun

As someone who also just started snowboarding this year, get a group beginner lesson first thing in the morning. Make sure you take a break after 2 hrs on the hill to let your mind process what you're trying to learn and to give your legs a break. That first day you are really fighting the board down the mountain and it's exhausting.

Also, wear wrist guards. You probably won't need them, but you'll hate yourself if you break a wrist and weren't wearing them.

If you can do the below after day 1, don't take another lesson.
1. Heal side and Toe side falling leaf on the bunny hill
2. Heal side and Toe side skidded J turns on the bunny hill
3. Linked skidded turns down a green run in control

For me, I was comfortable on my heal side after my first 1hr lesson on night one (2.5 hrs on hill), but was still really struggling with my toe side. Because of that I took another lesson to iron that out. Once I could add the toe side J-turn, linking turns together is no problem. As background I've skied for 10 years. Toe-side with your back to the fall line was incredibly unnatural.

Once you're ready for the intermediate level, take a private lesson! Well worth your money to fix technique, learn to carve, learn down unweight turns, and start dynamic turns. Sabrina at Killington did all of that for me in 1 hour of a private lesson.
Cycle4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote