Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Possible to learn park without lessons?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
jojoinabox

Default Possible to learn park without lessons?

Hi there (:

..I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I messed up/posted where this shouldn't be. I have a few questions...if you could take some time to read them that would be great.

I've been snowboarding for 2 years now and I was just wondering if it's possible to learn park without an instructor. I have one buddy to ride with, but she's usually busy so I ride alone a lot. (I go to an all girls school, almost no one there snowboards..) At my local mountains I could say that I'm one of the better ones at carving and whatnot, but I'm super intimidated to start doing some freestyle stuff. Mainly because everyone in the park scares the crap out of me/are very judgemental. I've watched numerous how-to videos and I really want to try some of them, but I know I'll bail like hell when I first start. I also don't want to bother anyone in the park like if I'm in the way/too slow or something...

I know this sounds totally crazy but do you think that it's too late for me to invest into competing slopestyle? I'm 14 already and barely did any park before. It's probably just some stupid goal/dream for me but I really want to compete. I don't even know how to do any tricks right now but I'm dying to learn. I'm literally addicted to snowboarding, I spend all my time watching vids + researching everything snowboarding related. The thing right now is that I don't have a lot of time to actually go snowboarding, but my mom says that she will devote sending me to the mountains on saturdays if I join a club. I've also competed in mini high school alpine races but I've decided that I do not like speed at all..and I ride way faster off the course.

Last question haha, I was wondering if my freestyle board is a bit too long for me...I'm 165cm and my board is 146cm (just below my chin). As I mentioned before, I watch a lot of snowboard videos/movies etc, and people like Torstein Horgmo (172cm) have 150cm boards for jumps and stuff.

Thank you so much for reading my long post...if you could please reply with any tips that would be super great! (:

Last edited by jojoinabox; 03-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.
jojoinabox is offline   Reply With Quote