Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Getting over the speed fear and keeping weight centered
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
handscreate

When I was first starting to ride I was always in the back seat. It took an instructor friend of mine watching me ride to tell me to grab my front knee while riding to initiate the forward lean needed to have real control & drive those front contact points into the snow. I'd suggest the same until you get used to the feeling. Also, as said above, get into the 60/40 forward lean on flat ground & learn how it feels to be in that position on your board. As far as getting over the speed....well, I can't help you there. It's just gotta happen. I finally started feeling really good about picking up stupid speed sometimes this season. I've always been ok with picking up some speed, but would get freaked out & slow myself down or stop when I was pointed straight down the mountain & bombing. Try traversing across the mountain, pointing more down than across, so you still pick up speed but can feel comfortable bringing yourself to a stop or bleeding off some speed if it gets too gnarly for you. Also, as stated above, don't go for the steep runs to learn to be comfortable with speed. That will scare the crap out of you & you'll feel even less in control than you do now. Riding on a flat base is a weird feeling & it does kinda feel like you don't have control, but keep in mind that you can always lean a little & initiate an edge to gain control if you feel like you don't have it.
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote