Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Getting over the speed fear and keeping weight centered
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
PNWRider

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
2) Long boarding. Or on the snowboard just move your hips back and forward along the board shifting your weight. Higher angles on your bindings (both positive) help too.
Thanks KirkRider. What is long boarding? By higher angles, I suppose you mean such that my feet are pointed more towards the front of the board? Does this change any of the mechanics of how to do a simple skidded turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
where do you ride?

When bombing, going right down the fall line...there are no edges to catch. This is because the toe and heel edge are parallel with the fall line. So you just got to keep a bit of weight on your nose, keep your upper body quiet with shoulders and hips closed/parallel with the board; and your legs, knees and ankles loose, relaxed. As for being low...try alternating between standing tall and crouching as low as you can get...like taking a shit in the woods.
Snoqualmie Central right now when in Seattle, and Cypress Mountain when in Vancouver. Probably Crystal/Stevens once Snoqualmie closes for the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
As far as staying out of the back seat, this is what worked for me for getting used to the feel of a stance: On the flat, not moving, put yourself into what you consider a 60/40 front-weighted stance. Now, close your eyes and concentrate on how that feels. Feel the weight on your front leg. When you get on a slope, concentrate not on the slope, but on getting the same feel in your front leg. Hold that feeling, you hold the stance.
This sounds like a good idea, thanks! I'll try this Sunday when I'm on the slopes next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
A big +1 here... Not sure why an instructor would tell somebody to flatbase and bomb a run to "get used to speed" unless you were just on the bunny hill and top speed in that case would be a quick jog.
Not sure how you define a bunny hill but I'm usually one of the green circle chairlifts. There are some variances in steepness between the various green runs here in the Pacific Northwest, but they are all roughly the same level of steepness. Some are a bit steeper on the top third. The bomb down the run was after the top third. Are the green circles considered bunny hills? My sister called it a flat, but she skiis black diamonds and I think she was just being sarcastic
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post

Also, not sure what the hype is about keeping your weight centred. You actually need to have your weight in all different areas depending on the snow, your speed, etc. Best way to feel out what weight does is to start off heelsliding, then gradually put more weight on your front foot, then back to centre, then towards your back foot. If done correctly you should turn more downhill with weight on your front foot, then hold that position with it centred, then turned back across the hill with weight on the back foot. Do the same exercise on your toe side to feel the same feelings.
I understand that as one advances, one needs to be able to move the weight around, but for many beginners like me, moving the weight forward is a huge mental obstacle so we work on that first

Quote:
Originally Posted by handscreate View Post
When I was first starting to ride I was always in the back seat. It took an instructor friend of mine watching me ride to tell me to grab my front knee while riding to initiate the forward lean needed to have real control & drive those front contact points into the snow.
So I just lean to my left (regular rider) and lightly grab my front knee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handscreate View Post
Also, as stated above, don't go for the steep runs to learn to be comfortable with speed. That will scare the crap out of you & you'll feel even less in control than you do now. Riding on a flat base is a weird feeling & it does kinda feel like you don't have control, but keep in mind that you can always lean a little & initiate an edge to gain control if you feel like you don't have it.
Thanks for this advice. I read somewhere on these forums that it's best not to advance in terrain until the current terrain gets boring. The instructors I've worked with keep trying to push me to blues and I'm not even comfortable going straight down the easiest greens yet! Just because I can occasionally link a turn by keeping my weight miraculously centered doesn't mean I can do s-turns down a blue yet, so it's good to hear that I'm doing the right thing by sticking to greens until I gain more confidence with speed.
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote