Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Review: Proto CT on Japanese snow
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
dreampow
Veteran Member

Default powder review

Just got back from a trip to Nozawa in Nagano. Spent 3 days on the proto in proper snow so I wanted to add to the review.

Just to give you the idea of the kind of snow here are a few pics.

Day one was 30cm of fluffy white and it stayed cold all day. Day 2 was clear blue skies and the powder from the previous day was still good in the woods, but started to firm up and get heavy towards the end of the day. Was pretty heavy icy chop on the lower part of the mountain.
Day 3 brought 40cm of fresh fluffy powder. It was very low visibility though.

Basically I took the proto though a wide range of conditions most of which were good quality powder.

For this board I have settled on a 23" stance centered with +15-15 duck stance.

I am used to riding semi directional boards with a setback in powder, this board just floated through with absolutely minimal effort even in 40cm.
Really happy with this because I ride a lot of powder and with a set back its quite hard to 180 and land switch or even do switch turns because you have to work pretty hard to keep the shorter nose from diving.
Being able to stay centered on the board means you can play around a lot more and ride switch for long sections which I love to do.

Now I have 4 days on the board and a range of conditions I am hugely impressed.
It carves superbly well for a twin. Short or long turns you can set the edge and with a good fore aft movement really lay into a carve.

Popping off jumps is taking some adjusting because it pops of the lip much higher than I am used to. Its really lively in a very good way.

I rode some pretty choppy conditions and it is pretty good. Yes, you will feel quite a bit of chatter but its not bad at all. The plus side of this damping comes in powder.

In the powder the float was great as I said, but you also get great feel from the snow so you can really enjoy each powder turn and each slash. The flex and the rocker also make it very easy to initiate a turn even in quite deep heavyish powder. So much fun in the powder and way more playful than a setback semi directional board.

Powder, butters, jumps, switch, carving this can do it all very very well for such an all round board.
I will be riding it for some time to come on anything other than 40cm plus.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote