Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Getting over the speed fear and keeping weight centered
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
handscreate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
This sounds like a good trick. Can't wait to try it!
I hope it works well for you! Make sure you keep your athletic stance up while doing this.

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but the only reason I was concerned with bombing straight down was so that I dont chicken out when attempting to do a toeside turn and the board is pointing straight down the fall line for a couple of seconds. I feel that if I cannot handle those 2 seconds of fall line on a green, then I can't really handle it on a blue either.
Ok, now I understand it. That's a natural fear when you're starting out. It's scary as shit to think about the board just pointing down the mountain & picking up speed when you're first getting started. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, stop thinking about the fear of pointing down the mountain. A trick I taught a friend was to bend his knees deeper when initiating a turn & straighten them out (back to a loose athletic stance) to finish the turn. What is your stance on your board? (angles, width?) I ask, because I think a duck stance is an easier way to gain control when starting out & the knee bending move works extremely well in a duck stance. No need to go to crazy angles, but it's something to consider & play with, maybe starting around +9/-9 or +12/-12. It's a more natural position for your knees to bend also, which will make the bending to initiate a turn trick a little easier to get down. It also occurs more naturally with a duck stance.

Try this on some greens & link a few turns successfully. Then try it on a milder blue, or a milder section of a blue run. Link a couple turns successfully on a blue & then consider going to another green & continuing to link turns on what is now much tamer terrain. Continue doing this back & forth, side slipping when needed. I would also suggest spending some time side slipping & traversing on your toe edge, since it seems turning to your toe side edge is scaring you a little.

Bombing down a green is really unnecessary to build the confidence needed to make the toe side turns. If I were you I'd work on linking turns successfully & being on a edge while picking up some speed as you make wide(r) S-turns or work on linking your C-turns. As long as you can hold a heel edge & a toe edge, you can stop. So don't be afraid to point the board down the fall line in these transitions. Worst case, you can always bail & fall (just be sure you don't put your hands out in front of you to stop the fall!!!). As Mixie said earlier, learning to fall is imperative to progressing in this sport, since you'll likely fall while pushing yourself to progress

Quote:
Thanks! I'm totally fine with doing the shallow greens by myself and working my way up while she's off on her own though, so I'm not rushing to try to catch up with her or anything.
No worries. I was just throwing that out there in case you felt you were being pressured to keep up with your fiance. I have no doubt she would wait for you in that case, but I don't know her so I have no idea, haha. It may be a good idea to ask her to go down a run with you, with her leading so you can watch what she's doing to link turns, etc. Maybe she can watch you ride & give you some pointers as well?

Quote:
Just bought the last medium size of these padded shorts in the greater Seattle area tonight on my way home
Hope you like them. They're great for keeping your ass padded & warm in the event you're sitting (or landing) in the snow for any period of time.

Last edited by handscreate; 03-29-2012 at 04:22 AM.
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote