Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Stevens Pass March 17-24

8K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  killclimbz 
#1 ·
It's no secret that this has been a bad season. This is pretty much going down to the worst one I have seen in Colorado since I moved here in 1990. I can live with it as there haven't been very many bad years out here. The PNW this year has been having an amazing season. Record setting for many places. Having made a journey out to Washington last season at the end of January and getting amazing conditions for the first half of the trip but rain for the second, I booked my flight for a week long trip in March. March seems to be the $$$ month in the PNW and I was not disappointed. The other thing that helps is a good friend and forum member here, Ale Capone lives very close to Stevens Pass. He is also a splitboarder. He also happens to know the backcountry around Stevens Pass better than well, anybody. I'd call him the Godfather of the pass. He's done stuff there that people just look at. Couldn't of had a better tour guide.

Day 1

Stopped by the Skykomish Deli to get a sandwich for my lunch. Splitboarding makes you hungry. They also have awesome sandwiches in there. Highly recommended. Of course I couldn't leave without leaving a little Colorado stoke somewhere.

The drive up the pass got me stoked, it had snowed around 80" the previous week, and the storms were still rolling in with smaller amounts. The 6-10" range. Perfect for a refresh and keeping the avalanche hazard not too crazy.

We went to a secret spot that Ale has. He calls it Flying Squirrel after seeing one back there several months ago. The skin started by the road side. The snow bank was just a little deep.

The creek looked pretty awesome too.

And of course the trees.

This area is on the East side of the pass where they don't get as much snow. My 340cm probe barely penetrated the snow before hitting ground. It hit at the 290cm mark...

Since I don't get to play in a Maritime snow pack all that often, we dug a pit to check it out. We did find a rotten layer about four feet down. This wasn't a steep riding day, so we weren't too worried. On the wrong slope though that layer could be a serious problem.

We got to the top of our line and Ale decided to smash some pillows.

Cont...

See less See more
#2 ·

And enjoy some sweet turns.

Day 2

We went to Heather Ridge which is across the the Highway from the Ski Area.

The scenery is sweet.

This time around Ale brought out his pooch Calolo(sp?) to ride with us. On our first run she got the rad pics.

The it was back to skinning and checking out the snow pack.

Remember that 290 centimeter depth on the East side? This is ale with my 340cm probe and his arm buried into the snow as far as he could reach. He did not hit bottom. That is over a 3 1/2 meter snow pack. That is over 11 feet folks.

Our second run went down the South Face. We figured since it had been snowing all day it would ride nice.

Cont...

#3 ·
Which it did. Further down though the temps warmed while I was riding a spine. Stuff started sluffing hard and I pulled up hard by some trees due to the amount of snow that was moving around. It was a good call, as soon as I did that maybe a class two avalanche kicked off below me and filled the gully. We had a few car sized chunks in the debris field. No harm no foul though. I believe I have video of this, I will hopefully get to edit everything next week. Further down Ale and Calolo found more pillows to smash.

Day 3

My buddy YC who flew out with me joined up with us along with a friend of his Jonathan from Seattle. The skies decided to break blue bird for another day on Heather Ridge.

The crew for the day.

The ski area looks fun, but I'll take the other side of the highway any day.

More stellar scenery.

And more killer drops. Ale playing with the white room.

Cont...

#6 ·
Of course with 40 yards on either side of me, YC somehow manages to clip me, here is the last shot I took before protecting myself and my camera.

Fortunately, I wear a helmet and the blow was glancing.

More pics to come after the weekend. I've got a bunch more to post and maybe some video...

#10 · (Edited)
Oh I don't doubt it. There is also awesome stuff at Baker too. In fact there is a whole bunch of awesome all over the place out there. Part of the reason for sticking around Stevens is just that I really wanted to get to know the place. After touring there for seven days, I now have a fairly complete working knowledge of how the backcountry works in that area of the pass. I doubt I'd ever be there and not be riding with Ale, but it's good knowledge to have.

The other reason for not traveling out of that zone, was that Ale's vehicle is less than road legal. "Mad Max", is not something I'd want to drive more than an hour with. We got pulled over on our last day and the cop went over a laundry list of things that needed to be fixed to deem it road worthy. It was kind of funny, except that he was considering declaring it not road worthy, but he eventually let us go with a warning. Limiting your time in it, definitely increases your life expectancy.

Hopefully next year, we'll get around a bit more. There is a lot more bc riding I'd like to check out in the state for sure.

#11 ·
thanks for the rad pics and what a cute doggie!!! :laugh: at the mad max car. I know exactly what you mean. My car runs fine but it's beat up enough to where I get hassled often. I think I only need to fix three things to make it "legal"

#13 · (Edited)
I did promise more pics right?

After doing three days straight, we took a rest day for Tuesday and got back after it on Wednesday. A lot of snow had fallen Tuesday-Wed morning so avalanche danger was a bit of a concern. We decided to look for more tree protected lines and stuff to screw around on. Our day began with a skin through the bustlin' megalopolis of the town of Yodelin. We made a quick stop by the old train tunnel to do a little "urban" snowboarding. YC eyeing up the tunnel pillow line.

and sending it.

We then continued on up the drainage that loops around the back side of Heather Ridge. Ale crossing a snow bridge.

Not wanting to push our luck we chose a short skin to a low consequence line to check out stability. Plus there were more pillows to smash.

There were tons of pillows lower down too.

We found another feature to play with on our next lap.

Cont...

#14 ·

Then we got into the "Lost Helmet" couloir. Why is it called lost helmet? I lost my helmet on the skin up. Fell out of the carry on my back. Make a note, if you are using a helmet carry on your pack, make sure to clip the helmet so that it can't fall off. Not a huge deal except that I lost my helmet cam mount. Fortunately I did pack the goggle mount that I got to use for the rest of the trip. We lapped the couloir one more time to try to find the helmet, but the steep terrain took it to who knows where. If you are hiking behind Yodelin this summer and find a helmet that has a sticker on it that says "Telemarking is Stupid" please shoot me a pm...

Lost Helmet Couloir was powdery goodness though.

Thursday, the Duke of Delridge joined up with us for a tour on Heather Ridge. The avy danger had dropped down considerably since the day before, so we got a little more aggressive with our terrain choice.

We shuttled a vehicle to Yodelin so that we wouldn't have to return to the ski area or hitch hike at the end of the day. So while waiting YC and I had some time to kill. Did I mention the snow is ridiculously deep there?

YC made some fine snow art while we were waiting...

Cont...

#15 ·
The Duke with the point.

The group making their way up the steep skin.

Then of course we got back to snowboarding.

The duke...

Ale started to creep out to the spine line we had done earlier in the week. The snow really started moving up top and was sluffing hard off of the cliff.

Kicking off another slab avalanche below.

cont...

#16 ·
That was enough warning for us. Ale and YC both took a more conservative line down the spine.

The apron below was nice though.

Then it was another skin and a group photo from a nice sunny spot on top of Heather Ridge.

The scenery was okay once again.

Then we did that snowboard thing again.

The exit out to Yodelin was long. I also managed to get some first hand experience with a tree well. Those things suck. I didn't have quite enough speed to trough it. Fortunately YC was there to give me a hand getting out. With out his help, I might have been in trouble.

Friday was just Ale, YC, and myself. We decided to take the ridge out over moonlight bowl. Made for a nice skin.

Plenty of surface hoar had been growing with the clear nights and cold temps.

Cont...

#17 · (Edited)

The ridge out was just fantastic.

The snow was even better.

After some serious billy goating over some some scary cliffs, we found our opening and made some of the best wide open turns of the trip. Ale, plowing the powder trail.

It was out through Yodelin one more time after that. We got one more day in on Saturday, but the light broke flat, and the temps had warmed up. This was the only day where pics just didn't come out great. If it had of been at the beginning of the trip, I would have considered the conditions good. Being at the end of the trip and all of the blower we had, it was just "meh". We did a one and done and closed out a great trip.

Big thanks to Ale for being an awesome tour guide. No way my trip would have been nearly as excellent without his services.

#20 ·
Nice pics! Again, wish my schedule would have worked out to coincide with better avalanche conditions. It was dicey that Thursday.

Reading this description, I have that scene from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" when John Candy and Steve Martin get pulled over by that cop in their burned out car.....:laugh:

The funny thing is that Max is not far off from that car...:laugh:

#21 ·
Seems you had great time!

I've been around Yodelin a couple of times, and it seems a 'safer' choice in sketchy conditions but still lots of fun...

I spent your last weekend in a snow cave above Paradise, and then a buddy broke his fibula so I took him home on Sunday. If I knew you are here, I would have tried to meet up with you, at least for a beer - you helped me with my NS split last year and I really appreciate it. Who are you in the picture? - to put a face to the name

Cheers
Ivo

#29 ·
It's a pretty killer back yard you have there zag. I almost did a day of lift served slackcountry, but we opted out since the snow didn't come in quite as heavy as predicted. I am pretty sure I'll be out next year. I don't see why not.

I also finally got some video together. Had lots of fun trying to get something together. New computer, new editing programs. Sorry if it gets a little pixelated at times, but I think it does the job. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.