Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Recommendation on wrist guards
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Irahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4snow View Post
Do you have Flexmeters with neoprene on palm side: Flexmeter Single Wrist Guards

Or with flexible plastic: Flexmeter All Season Wrist Guards
I have both. The all season ones with the double splint are a bit overkill for snow, in my opinion, although if you're looking for overkill, these are the guards to get. They're much more rigid, come pretty close to immobilizing your wrist altogether, and are quite bulky. They are, however, much better if you intend on using them without gloves at all, the hard plastic plate on the bottom side is extremely rigid, and is great for striking pavement or rails without damaging anything.

The single splint wristguards are much easier to fit under a glove, and allow for a greater range of motion so they don't interfere with ratcheting down bindings or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto
The next concern I have is sizing. On one website, it gave sizing recommendations based on the circumference of your palm, which would set me at a size large. But then I went on the Alps Gear website where the measurement was based on the distance from the wrist to the tip of the middle finger, which would set me at a size medium.

Another concern I have is whether or not I would need to buy a new set of gloves. My current medium Dakine Rover gauntlet gloves are large enough to allow me to use the Pro-tec IPS or Buton R.E.D. wrist guards. The Flexmeters seem a bit more robust & thick, so do I need to purchase a new set of large Dakine Rover gloves?
If you wear a medium glove, I find it pretty unlikely that you'd need a large in the flexmeters.

The biggest challenge with glove sizing is getting your upper palm section through the wrist of the glove, so if your gloves have any sort of adjustable wrist (velcro, draw cord, etc...) you'll probably be fine. Otherwise if it's already pretty tight in the wrist, you'll most likely have to size up in your gloves, especially if you're looking to get the double splint wristguard.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote