Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How do you think my private lesson went?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
powderaddict

Default How do you think my private lesson went?

And was it worth it?

About me:

I've gone snowboarding 8 times in my life, and in those 8 times everything I've learned has been self taught through reading and youtube(snowolf and snowprofessor mainly). Unfortunately,I don't have any friends who ride. The extent of what I can do is basic linked skidded turns on green runs without falling.

I keep reading about how self taught riders develop habits that are really hard to get rid of later on in their riding life so decided to take a 1 hour private lesson with the intention of extending for a 2nd hour if I felt there was a lot I can pick up still.

How it went:

1.Took lift up the bunny hill and the instructor stayed behind and watched me go down. She said I was really good considering it was only my 8th time as well as being self-taught. So we immediately went up to the bigger green run.

2.Told me my back hand was waving around so made me hold on to rear pant leg for remainder of lesson. In addition we practiced a drill where we would pretend there was a headlight on my front knee and that knee would be pointed in direction of travel.

3.She said my rear leg kicks out a bit on my toe side turns so I practiced doing wider smoother turns and trying to eliminate the "fish tailing".

4.She pointed out that I do a speed check at the end of each turn and that I should try to skip the speed check and start transitioning onto the other edge instead.

5.She taught me the "unweighting" technique and pointed out that I needed to go even lower and bring the edge up just a bit more.

6.Pointed out that I should practice staying upright over the board.

And then the hour was up and I decided it was sufficient to practice with for the day.

So what do you think of what was covered in an hour and is there anything else I can do to fix those bad habits that she pointed out?

I'll probably get asked this, so yes she was a cute, young skater girl in her early to mid 20s who rode with neon ray-bans on.
powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote