Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Instructing on ones own?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Intheshit

Angry Instructing on ones own?

Anyone have tips on working out a decent plan for making some money or getting by in winter months snowboarding?

with level 2 certification I get to ride for free, but am required to work on most good/busy days at a rate of 12.50$/h

thats 8-4:30 (i no longer work 8-8pm as it is ridiculous to expect that level of physical sacrafice)

sometimes 4:30-8 ; as you can imagine it is extremely tiring and does not pay very well. If the majority of lessons were mountain top or even demonstrations that would be better... to be honest we spend 75% of our time showing people how to put on their equipment, walking them down the hill and lifting them off their asses.

If someone would pay for my day pass or work out a continuing lesson plan throughout the season I would only require a 20 or a 40$ payment for the day that I get to take home and buy food with.

The best job here is really working with the kids camp because at least it makes sense. You are basically a councilor for tots; a skilled babysitter. Even then, most babysitters make 20$/hour these days.

These things I am finding strange in life. Most jobs I am offered have ridiculous physical demands at low rate of pay and leave me with no time to even feed myself imbetween.

Most recently I had an interview to work 66 hours a week @ 12.00 an hour doing physical labour... Sad part is I have to beg for this job because without it I cant afford to live. Ends up being a decent chunk of change, roughly 3000 a month but I will have no life as my only day off will be spent cleaning my house and shopping for the food of the week.

anyone have any tips on life? I hate this feeling of being a loser let me explain.

either I am working so hard I have no time or energy for anything else
or I am broke and lets face it- Being broke is pretty shitty way to live.

anyhow, next season I am not paying into the CASI union and probably wont be hired anywhere.
--
edit:
I should add that I really don't understand where the mountain gets off. They charge somewhere around 90$ for a private lesson and the instructor gets 12$. It must make sense for it to work and have everyone agree under that system but I personally do not get it.

Last edited by Intheshit; 04-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Intheshit is offline   Reply With Quote