Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you think a 12 or 12 year old board would have any life left in it

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  timmytard 
#1 ·
I'm probably going to trade a guy for a 12 or 13 year old board.

A 2000/2001 Gnu Carbon High Beam

It looks like it is in pretty good shape, but I haven't seen it in person.
It has an almost all white base, so I can see in the pics that it doesn't look to beet up.

I realize that all boards are going to lose their pop, & it would make sense that a board that was ridden more would lose its pop faster.

But what if it ridden very little or none @ all, would it still lose its pop?
Or is there something else that happens to boards with age? Would it become brittle?

I had a Luxury Shin Campos board about 15 or so years ago, and the sidewalls started to crumble.
The topsheet & base were fine, but it was slowly becoming hollow.
I don't know if it was from being old?
It was brand new, but I have no idea how old it was or how long it sat being unused.
@ the time I didn't think it was from age, I thought maybe heat or direct sunlight from a storefront window?

For about the last 5 years, when I first touch a board A try to bend it in half, I can see the fear in peoples eyes as I try to snap their deck in half. None ever have, so I don't think one ever will. But most make lots of cracking sounds. If it does I hand it back & move on.

I on the other hand have broken boards in all sorts of ways. From being ejected with both bindings still on, to having 2 separate mini board shoes.
Since I started this testing method, I haven't snapped any. I figure it's a fairly reliable test.

Has anyone bought an old board & have it explode on them or die from what they thought was old age?

I could go on & on, it was just 4:20. so I guess I'll pack er in.

Thanks

TT

See less See more
#3 ·
Sweet, thanks.

That's pretty much all I need then.

The board I'm trading is to big for me anyway.

I only paid $10 bucks for it so I'm gonna try & go do that today

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.