Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

What's up with Ride's wacky board sizing?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  scotty100 
#1 ·
I'm interested in buying a machete or an antic but notice the specs on these boards, in fact on all of Ride's boards, seem to be on the smaller side compared to most other companies. Is there a reason for this? It makes deciding which size to get quite difficult. For example, Ride specs its regular width boards on the lighter side of rider weight. The Machete 162 board, its longest length regular version, is spec'd at being appropriate for riders no heavier than 190lbs. That's probably at least 20-30lbs lighter than other board manufacturers who produce board lengths of 162/163...why is this? Are Ride's boards just lighter/less durable, built for dare I say it, the younger demographic?

Annoying somewhat, because I'm 6' and around 200lbs with boot size of either 10 or 11 and if I look at their machete spec sheet and go by weight to pick a board, they are suggesting a 157W (150-220lbs) would fit me better than their 162 regular (140-190lbs). That makes no sense to me at all...what's up with their wacky sizing?

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply and for sharing that awesome vid. This is my first season learning and I've managed to progress to linking my turns on groomers/blue runs at squaw in tahoe. I doubt I'll be doing anything more than building on fundamentals next season or 2 so was looking for something in all mountain category probably medium-soft flex. Ride (and K2) looked like good options due to their rocker/flat tech etc. I've done a lot of reading and comparing other board makes and it seemed to me that Ride's specs were on the smaller side when it came to rider weight which makes selecting a board a little tricky (for me anyway). Guess I'm a little confused as to why they are on the smaller side. Apologies if that's a dumb beginner type question...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.