Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

recommend camera

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  CaP17A 
#1 ·
I wanna buy canon...not sure which model...i wanna document by photos moments of SB culture with my friends
wanna keep it simple to use but amazing quality

any advice?

#9 ·
I have an eos 300d and standard canon 28-90 lens. It has worked flawlessly for years, this year I took it to japan and the cold temps were causing it to malfunction badly. To use it I would have to take the lens off and the battery out, warm the contacts with my fingers (as my fingers froze), reinstall and quickly shoot before it happened again. Get back to the warm room and it wont do it. I am not trying to scare you off but this IS a real problem with canon cameras, like I said do a google search and see the thousands of topics regarding it.

#3 ·
We have a Canon S95. Dope quality for a compact. Only thing is no rapid shot, or sequence shot or whatever you call it.

Imo look for something that has that, whatever its called, multi-shot so you can shoot sequence shots and pick best ones :thumbsup:

#4 ·
What is your budget? That has to be the first question you answer when posing this question. If sky is the limit I would tell you to get a Canon 7D with a 10-20mm lens and a 24-70mm lens. However, you may just want a point and shoot for all I know.

Clarify that for me and I can give you some solid advice.

#7 · (Edited)
I have a Canon 50D at the moment with an array of lenses. Its a pretty amazing camera and it shoots 6.3fps which is a great speed for sequences and with a 1.6 cropped cmos sensor it has very high image quality.

What poutanen said about size and portability is something to consider. For me to take my camera, a couple lenses and a flash I need a bag and its about 15 lbs.

The best camera is the one you have with you, simply put. But I just try to plan to have a good camera with me :)

This is going to come down to what you want to do with your photos, how much you want to spend and what you want to carry. Point and shoots can be great (camera phones included) but not only is the image quality limited, what you can do with those imges (jepeg)in post production is also limited. I shoot in RAW, which means I have more of a 3 dimensional capture with all the details available so I can edit the shit out of it. A jpeg is a flat compressed version so post production is limited.

Another thing to consider is creativity. A point and shoot is almost always just auto modes, so creative shots become very difficult. With a dslr you can shoot full manual and play with Depth of Field, Aperature etc to get very creative effects. Nikon just came out with a pretty cool little camera not much bigger than a point and shoot but its full manual/auto and the lens can shoot at 10mm which is very wide. Its about $600 but its super sweet for a carry along. Also shoots HD video.

Anywyas, still need more input but hopefully we are sharing good info.

As for the error 99 - you probably have dirty contacts on your lens or battery o a loose battery door or something like that. Take you camera and give a good once over/tune up/cleaning. This could also happen if its too cold out.

Here is a sequence I shot of a buddy of mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69393484@N07/6327721796

#10 ·
I've seen some pretty awesome photos come off of the Canon G series. G10, 11, & 12. I believe the G10 has an optical view finder which I find to be key for any camera you are going to use to shoot snowboarding.

For a DSLR, I just got an entry level model. The Nikon D5100. So far I am impressed with the image quality. The sensor is great, as mentioned by poutanen. It's the same as the D7000. The frames per second are just over 4. Fast enough to get tons of quality shots. The HD video is alright, but it could be better. I found a two lens kit with the body for $700. That is with the 18-55 lens and the 55-200. They are factory refurbished, but I also got a 1 year extended warranty with the purchase. Hard deal to beat.

#11 ·
The newest Canon G series is called the GX, I believe. Supposed to have a pretty large sensor and take really good photos for not being a DSLR.

My gf got a Sony NEX-5N for X-mas and it is a baaaaaad ass camera. It's one of those "Interchangeable Lense" cameras that is not a DSLR. Has a sensor larger that some entry level DSLR's though, and can shoot I believe 7fps on the fastest mode (might be 10fps). We haven't learned all of the settings yet, or really even come close, but even for a point and shoot it still takes amazing photos. It came with a lense (20-70mm maybe?) and there are about 6-8 other lenses you can purchase for it. You can also purchase an adapter which allows you to use any Sony DSLR lense (again, don't know the correct terminology but maybe called A-mount?) as well as a lot of Minolta lenses (Sony bought Minolta's camera division).

So that's what I got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.