Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help Choosing a Board...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
SJ10

I have both the CX 164 wide and Highlife UL 163 wide. Both are excellent choices and in all honesty would have difficulty recommending one hands down over the other. A little bit of a comparison...

Carving- I give the edge to the CX. It just feels a little more locked in. The HL is very good but doesn't have quite have that feeling that a true cambered board has. Both have good return energy out of a carve though.

Pow- The hybrid shape of the HL makes it a better powder board. It's a somewhat surfy/slashy feel and works well in minimal pow. Probably one of my favorite pow designs for an all mountain board. One of the fastest pow boards I've ridden as well.

Natural hits- The CX is easier to access in the pop department, and feels like the better overall jumper to me.

Speed/Stability- Both are equally fast. The HL is much more damp and may feel better at speed, but again both are solid at speed.

Overall the CX fits my riding a little better than the HL, and with the diode bindings I have yet to find a true all mountain setup I like better. That said the HL is a very good board and i'm glad I bought it. It's smooth and realatively easy to ride. It's the powder oriented all mountain board I've been looking for for a while. The CX requires more finesse but is more rewarding to me at the limit. On ice I find it difficult to modulate edge pressure so take that into consideration.

BTW, I'm your size but with smaller feet.

I agree with that others, that you may want something with magnetraction if riding the east.
SJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote