Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Critique on heel edge
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
mikeyman

Guys - just wanted to say thanks so far for all the critique, I appreciate the time you spent watching/writing. It's also the first time I've seen myself on video which is always a shocker I imagine..!

From what I understand from you guys there's a few things that seem to be consensus:
- don't twist so much at the waist/turn at the shoulders, keep line of shoulders more in line with length of board
- up/down motion more with the knees
- more edge angle (possibly condition based - it was super icy!)
- twist the board (I don't do this enough I'm sure of it)

The last two are new to me and I'll definitely work on them. The first two were my suspicions - I've been told by the French instructors that on the heel edge I should look more back OVER my shoulder rather down the mountain and that will keep me more aligned. The last trip I also noticed my left quad (back leg) was getting sore, which I think comes from my heeledge turn where it feels like I am turning my torso towards the back leg and sticking my front hip out (at 0:24)? - straining my left quad. When I look at my body position in this frame it doesn't look smooth & symmetrical at all!

One thing I find difficult to get conceptually are the different ways to turn under different snow conditions. I've never got straight answers from instructors and I suspect that's because it's a difficult question to answer and cannot be distilled into a formula. Could anyone try to explain when you might want to use different types of turn - I was on an icy section where I had to pick a line, would I still want to use the same techniques Snowolf is describing? I appreciate it's a pretty shoddy video ;-). For example on reds/blues I think I can carve quite well for my experience, but I find that difficult to do on steeper sections where I tend to kick the back leg out more - I've seen advanced riders do this with a jump from edge to edge on icy steeps and narrow off pistes. It seems to bleed speed whilst sticking to a narrow line?

Cheers
mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote