Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Thanks for the help last time... expanding the quiver advice
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
the pyl is an amazing freeride/pow board. i ride the 161 and it handled the whistler sidecountry perfectly and is a fun speedmachine on groomers. you can't go wrong with the board.

i'd think about different bindings though. the reflex baseplates on the cartel make the toe and heel part of the binding lift under pressure. check out the forum republic. they're very similar to the cartels but have a better baseplate.
If you're talking about the mounting disc, Forum and Burton uses virtually the same disc. Same hinged design. After all, Burton does own Forum and Forum gets some parts directly from Burton like their ratchets.

I can't speak for the PYL or Raptor, but I can speak for the Proto. The Proto will flex like your Legacy, but won't be as damp. It has more pop than the legacy too.

If you want a board specifically for park games, I'd do the Evo instead. If you want to make the whole mountain your park, the Proto will be better. The Evo isn't terrible on the mountain though. I just prefer the added stability of the Proto over the Evo for the times I feel like maching down a run.

If you're going to do a hefty board like the Raptor for freeride, you should consider different bindings. The Cartels and Malavitas are considerably more playful than the SPI. If you want to stick with Burton, the Diodes would be a great match for the Raptor. Consider the Ride Capos or El Hefe (stiffest) if you like that brand.

Malavitas would be nice on the Proto or Evo. The previously mentioned Forum Republics are an excellent choice as well and will save you some dough too!