Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Holy crap - snowpack (or lack thereof)

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  poutanen 
#1 ·
I was just watching Channel 4 news and they had a piece stating that statewide snowpack levels are at 22% of average for this time of year and over half of all snowtel location are reporting NO SNOW.

Wow. I knew the snowpack sucked, but I didn't realize it was quite THAT bad. :eek:

#5 ·
Get used to it, just wrote a research paper on shifts in snowpack during the last 50 years and projected into the next 50 years. Gonna be more rain and less snow on average unfortunately, SWE (Snow-Water-Equivalent) is supposed to drop by between 12% - 80% depending on the location in the West.

We will still obviously get surplus years though. Fire is definitely going to be scary at the lower elevations this year

#10 ·
Last year we were over 160% of average at this time in spots. As far as more rain goes, bring it. In Colorado during the winter that just equals snow. I know the PNW, coastal states are affected by it, but the high altitudes here pretty much guarantee snow. Maybe wet, heavy snow, but it's still snow.

I read that Independence Pass is opening this weekend, due to the low snow totals. It usually opens the Thursday before Memorial day. Last year it was the weekend after due to all the snow. It took the road crews that long to plow the road. This year the snow pack is at 0% of average. Which begs the question, why do they have to wait until this weekend to get the road open?

#16 ·
I could care less about Denver too. If it wasn't for having to go down the hill to work, I'd make it east of Evergreen once or twice a year. I don't think I'd care much for living in the circus that is Summit/Eagle either. I avoid it like the plague during the season.

#18 ·
I can't do it during the season. Way too crowded, way too touristy, and way too bro-tastic. :laugh:

If I could live anywhere in CO, it would be Durango. But, the job situation down there is virtually nonexistent. Unfortunately for me, most areas I would most want to live have that issue. Evergreen is the best compromise I've been able to find so far, you just have to find the spots to avoid the ever growing socialite contingent. Fuck those people.

#19 ·
I can't do it during the season. Way too crowded, way too touristy, and way too bro-tastic. :laugh:
I agree with BA that its "awesome" but not having the choice I would work weekends up there and have to deal with it, instead of shutting the blinds and staying in. The weekends up there is like Disneyland with the tourists, carnies and everything between, its total silliness. Love the weather/scenery/location tho.

Evergreen is the best compromise I've been able to find so far, you just have to find the spots to avoid the ever growing socialite contingent. Fuck those people.
I realize we have a cougar infestation at the Woodcellar that spawns from Hiwan and its ilk, but imo its a hell of alot cooler than the crackhead brobrahz situation at Cactus. Since I work not socialize there, obviously I can't complain about customers who want to spend money.

Move to Bailey or Conifer. :laugh:

#22 ·
285 is fine most the time now that the construction near shaffers crossing is done, but as most mountain highways don't go up on friday or down on sunday to avoid traffic :rolleyes: I use to live in Bailey and it was a great place to live but 285 can be a little scary in places with only 2 lanes and no guard rail (after watching that suv get plowed bye that 18 wheel in that video this year) Now I live in clear creek county between you 2. I go to evergreen or frisco to do my shopping and I've managed to pretty much avoid Denver for the most part. Since moving up here the worst I've felt in weeks was when I had to drive to Denver for a dinner around 5... holy crap, denver is cool but SKREW the idiot drivers and traffic sometimes. I feel like in general most (not all) drivers that live or are from the mountains tend to drive a little better because of some of the roads up here (loveland pass) if you do something stupid up here you might die, where I see teenage chicks texting and putting makeup on in the city :dunno:

#24 ·
haha tru, but whatever the reason I'm happy up in the mountains... also in lakewood I was paying $725 for a crappy 1 bdrm in an oldish people community now i'm paying only $25 more a month for an awesome 1 bdrm with new tile, hardwood, dishwasher, fireplace, few hundred feet from a lake, and alot cooler in the summer :)... The weather was the biggest thing for me actually. I can't stand 90-100 degree weather it just turns me into a sloth. I was thinking about moving to Alaska one day when I get into split boarding and bc more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.