Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: May 6, Lake Louise
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Default Trip Report: May 6, Lake Louise

Headed up to Lake Louise today to take advantage of their spring discount ($25 lift tickets if you hold a season pass for any other resort in the world!) We were on our way yesterday but it was raining and we decided to turn back. Today was 100% blue bird all day long! About -5 C at the parking lot in the morning, a little cooler at the top, upper mountain stayed below freezing all day, about half way down turned into slush from about 11:00 on...

First run we headed up the gondola at 10:00 or so, then headed down to the base of the top of the world chair. The entire run was the worst hardpack I've ever been on! It was like they groomed spring snow, and then it had freezing rain fall on it. No fun at all...

So we headed to the top of the world anyway, and came down a few runs on the same chair. The upper 1/3rd of the mountain was actually pretty good, but the mid section near the base of the chair was hardpack pretty bad. We decided to head for the back and found the snow there much better! Took a run down saddleback and whitehorn to the paradise chair. The GF decided once was enough for her, so she went down the the BBQ and DJ setup at the main lodge for some lunch.

I headed over to the summit platter to see what the snow was like up top. Well. Oh my. Took one run down the chutes between boomerang and ridge run (see pic below) and the snow was AMAZING! It was so good that I had to do another lap. This time at the top of the platter I kept climbing up to the very peak of mount whitehorn, then I peered over the lip and got a crowd looking back up at me! I didn't want to go with them below me in case something broke, so I waited a bit and then launched over the edge. Then I crossed the cat track where everyone was watching me from and went back into the double black chutes... The boarding was unreal!

I just noticed on a trail map that those chutes are usually closed, so I guess today was my lucky day. Only one or two other people came down through them while I was in there, and they were pretty savvy looking skiers. It was fantastic on a board, enough snow to actually enjoy carving through it, but steep enough that I sort of did a combo of jump turns and carving. Anyway, here's a pic of the chutes that I hit, I hit "exit only" the first time and "free fall" the second...

Pics to come!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote