Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Moving to a Mountain -- But Where? Help!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  HoboMaster 
#1 ·
Well boys, I've made up my mind!

I'm over the rat race, I'm debt free with quite a bit saved up. It's gonna be a huge lifestyle change and I kinda feel bad for quitting a great job when there are so many people struggling right now. I want to do this while I'm still in good shape too.

That said, I don't want to all the sudden be 55 years old working my tail off for the same promotion as 5 of my peers, they are actually educated and didn't have to work up from being a laborer - foreman - site sup - PM... so I'm sure they would get the awesome job first anyway!

I have quite a few friends here in Denver, but anywhere would be great. (I live in Golden here, but travel for work, so I'm not home much at all!)

I'm debt free and have the ability to go anywhere at this point in my life, throw some suggestions my way!
you guys have been all over it seems!

How do you do it at resorts?

Jobs?
- I have an electrical (Lineman/Splicer) background.. but I doubt that helps in these areas. I can always get back into it if things go south.. It's just everyday I have this job is the worst day of my life. it used to be so fun before I got into management.

- I'm not a very social person, any good jobs for the introverted types? If not I'm sure i could suck it up and be a waiter or something..

Housing?
- I wouldn't be against buying a Condo or if I could find some with realistic HOA fees. 200K is fine, but add another 300/month to that and it's a little ridiculous!

- What do you guys pay for rent? I hate paying rent and prefer to buy, but renting may be the only way!

Do you guys regret it?
I feel like if I just go do it I'll be able to make something work!
It's gonna suck having to pay for health insurance and driving my own vehicle again though

Thanks !
I'm sure you guys answer this shit all the time, I need to validate my decision making I guess!

See less See more
#2 ·
Look for cat crew jobs, I know a few of them that do summer timber clearing on the mountain too. Lift maintenance works year round up here, some of them anyhow.... Not a lot of people wanna climb those towers and check the cables/pulleys....

Living in vail is pricier than other mtn towns like breck/steamboat.... I'm on the river in west vail with 2 bedrooms and PAy $1700 which includes all bills.... 1 bedroom can be had for $800.... Check out craigslist plus local papers(vail daily) for rentals in all areas and zillow is where I look for sale shit... $200k will get you a decent little place in breck or steamboat but a shithole in vail...... I would not live here if I couldn't line a good job up....

#3 ·
Thanks Argo,

I've been researching those jobs heavily, I think it would be kinda fun to do maintenance on the chairlifts. I wasn't sure if the mountain actually had their own guys or just sub-contracted it out.
I do have quite a bit of experience running heavy equipment doing line work, either of those would be fine!

I want a job lined up for sure - I'm planning on doing this for the 2013-14 season while I get everything ready, rent out my current house etc.

#7 ·
So you have a good job with lots of benefits and your 40 minutes away from loveland pass.

Sounds like your young and single, but I think your a bit fukn nuts to walk away from that. Alot people would give their left nut to trade places with you right now. You only live once though so maybe its good for you, but if its all about the mountain and boarding I would look to something like the PNW.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Im on the road all year, I make it to Golden maybe a month a year, between jobs...
Traveling gets old bro. I've been in 30 states and three countries in the last 10 or so years. If I could just live in golden I'd be happy, trust me!
Okay, makes sense now. You really don't live in golden.

I would not make a decision without spending some time at your final few canidates. I still think somewhere in the PNW with the length of season would be where you want to go.

#13 ·
As others have said sounds like you want to be in the PNW. The paradox here (and probably everywhere) is that the big well-known mountains get shralped quickly and can be crowded, but due to that tourism getting a job and supporting yourself isn't too hard. On the flip-side, you come to a town like Sandpoint which has a badass mountain that is fairly undiscovered (Schweitzer), and 80% of the people here are scraping by (small resort-town economics...). Grant you cost of living is also relatively low.

Lot's of trade offs, it just depends on what you want and the level of security you want into the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.