Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First Post: Becoming an Instructor
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Matt166

I usually find people who hate on instructor lifestyles either teach at the wrong mountain, or aren't instructors.

My 2p, if you really are serious about teaching.

Start off in kids school, they aren't paying the bills, so less pressure and a better environment for you to hone your teaching techniques.

Take all the free training you can get.

Get as many certs at you can afford quickly. I hate the fact that AASI has such a huge part to play in our lives, but it is what it is, if you ever want to earn money out of teaching or actually ride, you need to be qualified.

When you have a couple of years under your belt, have a mountain in mind that has high end clientele, and work adults - they ARE paying the bills, which means if you do a good job, they will probably tip you depending on the mountain.

I work at a pretty decent mountain, I normally come out of the season about 5-6k in profit. It wasn't always this way, this season will be my 7th teaching and the early years were defo a struggle, especially when I worked in the east.

Some things to consider:

To earn good money it helps to have the following characteristics - you need to look good, be professional, be easy to get on with, connect with all types of people, be extremely nice, be willing to tie a few bootlaces/carry boards/stop old ladies from falling over.

If i were you kid, i would go to college first, the mountain will always be there and if you go near a mountain town you can teach in your time off. One day you might decide you want kids, you'll need that degree.

Good luck buddy, if you can swing it, and swing it well, lifes good.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote