Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

the 2013 Burton Genesis ReFlex Bindings...

35K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Sassicaia 
#1 · (Edited)
Without having a chance to ride them yet, here are some things I noticed:
- These bindings are light! They feel lighter than my reflex malavitas.
- the highbacks are soft flexing... both parts seem to be quite flexible.
- they changed the discs a little so the angles are marked on the disc and not the baseplate anymore.
- the react ankle strap (like on the diode and old c60) is very comfortable
- the gettagrip toe strap is like on the diode, where the inner material appears to be some kind of foam and not rubber like the usual ones
- no autocant
- the b3 gel in the heel is much smaller than i've ever seen.
- the baseplate mold/shape/design is different than the 2012 cartel and malavita reflex

Here are some pics... I'll have a chance to ride them in the next few days...

See less See more
#8 ·
The Genesis first of all is lighter than both the cartels and malavitas. The ankle strap is quite different from any of their other straps. It's very thin and completely wraps your ankle when locked in. It's a toss up for me between these straps and Burton's Asym straps. Although the Genesis ankle straps are more comfortable.

That's the major thing about these... it is superbly comfortable. It's like you don't have anything on your feet, yet you get all the support like you do. The highbacks seem flimsy, but Hoon said in his review that he accidentally stepped right on the highback and was convinced he broke something. Nothing broke, not even that Hammock thing.

The hammock contraption on the highback hugs the back of your boot. So you feel the support there even when you aren't flexing into the highback. However, the highback doesn't engage until you lean into it.

It's a pretty flexy binding though so it's not going to be for the person looking for that aggressively responsive binding. I place it as an all-mountain freestyle binding with a bias towards freestyle.

#7 ·
After a few hours of riding them, here's my thoughts:
- the ankle strap is very comfortable, just like the malavitas, but feel more locked in.... which i think is a good feeling. I could never tolerate the cartel ones for longer than an hour. On a side note, the cartel ankle strap has changed for 2013, like a smaller react strap.
- the toe strap holds just as good, if not better than the regular rubber gettagrips. I think removing the rubber strip in the middle cutout makes a difference, and I may cut the rubber strip out of my other gettagrip bindings, which could move if not ratcheted tight, despite being grippier than the foam on the genesis/diode.
- the new highback WORKS... on my 2011 malavitas I prefer them with zero adjustment, my 2012 cobrasharks at f2 i think, and these at f3... the "suspension" piece and back piece are both soft and with my settings I could feel the highback even in a relaxed stance... which I liked. During heelside turns the response was there, and felt great even through bumps keeping the heelside edge... ZERO CALF BITE!!!!! the highback is secure and comfortable.
- the baseplate flexes less than my reflex malavitas... again I like this.

My only concern with these bindings is the flimsy feeling of the highbacks, but everything else I LOVE... zero pressure points with a locked in feeling that was extremely comfortable.

#36 ·
I think removing the rubber strip in the middle cutout makes a difference, and I may cut the rubber strip out of my other gettagrip bindings,
Did you try this?

Seems like it would work to me, that middle strip gets in the way of the cap from hugging the toe of the boot, which could be why they slip if not just right.

I may cut it on my 2011 cartels, but would be nice to hear from someone who has done so and felt an improvement / no problems afterwards.

Hmmm, it seems from what people are saying the 2012 malativas are a bit to significantly softer. I may just stay with the cartels and get the 2013s.

Anyone have experience with the 2013 cartels?

New tech? changes in flex? What does it say in your catalog Leo?

#21 ·
After a few more days on these, I have a few more things to add:
- the foam toe strap definitely molds to my boot better than the regular gettagrip toe strap, which would sometimes slip off if not positioned and tightened perfectly.
- the ankle strap has now surpassed the malavita asym strap as my favourite ankle strap, as it's also pressure point free, but much more supportive.
- the high back doesn't get snow stuck in it like I thought it might
- the micro flad seems to be improved upon, from previous gens as the adjustment block that contacts the heelcup widens at its end, unlike the 2010 exile, 2012 cobrashark and 2011 malavita in which the micro flad was one thin block
- weight savings are very noticeable, especially on the lift.

#24 ·
Hmm. That's thrown a spanner into my 2013 binding plans then...:) I just bought a Yes Great Beauties board with med flex and was looking to slap the Prophecy on it. From what I read, the Prophecy sat between the Cartel and Malavitas in terms of stiffness/responsiveness...with the Cartels being stiffest, then Prophecy then Malas. Will the Genesis be the same as the Prophecy in this regard?

#26 ·
I will be getting some bindings for next season to go on my proto CT. These look good, but I want something on the stiffer side of all mountain freestyle.

I currently use 2011 cartels and like them a lot. I could go a little softer for sure for the freestyle side but want to keep some stiffness as I like to rail turns at pretty high speed and ride a lot of deep powder tree runs where I need control.

There are 2012 Malativas on sale at the moment and I want to know if the malativas have any significant upgrades for 2013?

Would the 2012 malativas be a good binding for what I want?

Seems to me they would but I have no first hand experience with them.

#31 ·
the lowest lace loops on my boots have shredded up the inside of the ankle strap on my back foot a bit, but it doesn't really affect the function too much.... still pretty lame at shit can't hold up on a $$$$ pair of bindings...i may have them replaced in the off season.

the foam on the highback and footbed doesn''t hold up well either. its comfy but too lightweight to last.

so yea com to think of it mine are kinda falling apart too..... but they worked well for one season at least :dunno: and were very comfy and light

i am only 150 lbs.

#42 ·
To anyone that has actually ridden these...would you recommend them to someone who is an advanced rider who doesn't ride park, just groomers, glades and powder? I have really stiff boots (Ride Insano) and just got a moderately stiff deck (NS Cobra) and not sure how these will mesh (the highback seems REALLY flexible and soft). I bought these and the Union SL and definitely not a fan of hte SL. After reading a bit, I'm wondering if I should go with Cartels or Malavitas instead for some more responsive/stiff bindings.

#44 ·
Just asking for feedback from people who have ridden it before...just like those who would look for reviews/feedback before buying a car or something. I am an advanced rider but haven't ridden a wide array of gear (I had a set of Clickers I learned on and then a set of traditional bindings from Atomic that are stiffer than the Genesis). This is my first setup where I'm buying everything I "choose" as opposed to what sort of fits and is on sale at the end of the season. These intrigued me and I grabbed a pair after reading Burton's party line on them...now after reading some more it sounds like they aren't a good fit. I'd rather return them "unused" and get a set of Vitas or Cartels if they are going to be better for me. The $50-75 price difference isn't a huge deal (when spending ~$1000 on my first setup in 6 years)...I just want the binding that suits my needs.

You've ridden them (from my post in the other thread)...do you think they will be too soft for my style of riding?

#45 ·
The honest truth is no one can really say. The trump card here is personal preference. Stiff boots plus stiff board does not automatically equal diodes.
Sure, if you put the absolute softest bindings on the stiffest board, the binders will be under powered, but in this situation, I think it's splitting hairs.
In my case, I like most bindings if they can hold my foot tightly and reasonably comfortably. I just adjust to the rest of the variables.
Now, I tried the 2013 cartels and they were 'normal', same with the malavitas. Nothing worth upgrading over my 2012's. then I got on the genesis. I wasn't interested since I found them to be too expensive, especially when the cartels do a perfect job and since reflex came out, are pretty amazing. Well, the bottom line is I couldn't give them back lol. Like has been written already in this thread, they feel invisible, but give you all the support you need. they really felt like an entirely new level of tech. i shredded all day in them and didn't feel like they were too soft. I even tried to put the straps on my 2012 cartels to see if that was the reason for them feeling so good, but it wasn't just the straps, it was the whole package.
See, nowadays, most of the burton bindings are really all mountain - they can be used for anything. Buying malavitas because you do park over cartels, is mostly due to the marketing dept, since both bindings are pretty similar.

#47 ·
Only similarity is the baseplate. They ride completely different.
I agree that the durability of the highback is a question mark, but I was assured by B that it was really strong. Mine should arrive next week so we'll see when I start riding them.
If your prophecy are still fine just keep riding them. You're only losing out on the genesis highback really, if you can call it losing out.
Or, sell the prophecy now, while everybody still remember them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.