Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ontario resorts
Thread: Ontario resorts
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
brownSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlyr View Post
I'm considering booking a late season vacation up in Ontario, north of Toronto near Barrie. I can save a few hundred dollars if I go in late March or early April, was wondering if anyone can fill me in on typical closing dates and make a few recommendations for daytripping. I take it Blue Mtn is the place to go. Any vert up there?

i'm a Blue Mtn. "local" if you can call me that. It's the closest and largest HILL to me here in Toronto.

don't let the name fool you. it's NOT a mountain by any standards. I think the vertical might be about 900 feet. On a busy weekend you'll stand in line 5 to 10 minutes and your run down the slope (if you're going full tilt), might last 1 minute or less. It's underwhelming to say the least, but it's one of a few that we have in the area.

Not to completely slam Blue. On a week day it's not crowded at all. And if it snows you'll have some good turns. But don't expect a mountain.

Timing wise, late March is a stretch. The last good day up there this year was St. Patricks day, March 23rd and even that was a bit of a shit show. Check out my mini report in this post,

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/eas...sing-date.html

They have the best snow after Christmas and up until about late February / early March. Anything before or after that is a gamble.

Day trip wise, Mt. Saint Louis Moonstone is the other local bump/hill that's worth spending any time on. But it's almost the same as Blue, but without the good restuarants and bars at the base of the hill.

If i could make a suggestion.
If you're traveling to come to Ontario, head east and go to Quebec, Mt. Saint Anne or Mt. Tremblant, you won't be disappointed.
Alternatively, Ellicotville NY isn't too bad. A bit bigger than Blue for the same price or less.

PM me if you need more info.
brownSnow is offline   Reply With Quote