Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

My DIY Wood veneer top sheet Swallowtail No-Board with Rocker

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  timmytard 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple years ago I made a No-board with a pre 4x4 insert K2.
It has inserts, just in a broader area. I used longer screws & filed the heads off. Then I attached a bungee cord to either end with T-nuts.

I was able to ride it, but it sucked. With no front binding to pull the front end up, the sweet spot for your front foot was moved back.
Too just past the treads on it, so it became way too slippery.

So I decided to try adding a swallow tail, which seemed to work not bad.
I haven't got to try it yet, but I don't think it could ride worse.

I also have an old Kemper shit piece, that is pre 4x4 inserts.
This is the tester board.
So far I've managed to bend some rocker into the front end, & it has stayed. Not a lot but I can always add more.

So I think the K2 should work as well, I hope.

Finally I glued some wood veneer to the top sheet of the Kemper just to see if would work. Surprisingly it did.
It actually worked really good, I got no bubbles & it seems to be holding pretty well. I only did the front end but it formed over the nose perfect.

Now it's time to see if adding rocker to the K2 will work, either way it looks like it's gonna get veneered.

TT

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the swallowtail finished. I think it has a foam core or maybe just @ the nose & tail? It didn't look or pick out like wood.
So after filing & sanding it smooth, I just used some of this shit.
http://www.rustoleum.ca/cbgimages/products/ps_vara_pro_ob_aero.jpg
& gave it a few coats, good enough for me.

The Kemper is the tester board. I don't know if you can tell in the pic, but I did manage to bend a bit of rocker into it & it has stayed like that so far.
Whether it will work on the K2, I'll just have too see.

My cam is in the pawn shop @ the moment, so no pics, but I have glued some veneer to the Kemper. Only about half of it just to see if it would work, & surprisingly it did. Nice & flat, no bubbles.

I only have little pieces of veneer, the biggest about 8"x16' maybe? But I got a shit load of it & it was free. So there's no way I'm buyin' anymore. So I'll just have to make it work. Bit of a pain in the ass, but I think I should be able to tape 8 pieces up & make it look pretty.

The whole top wood grain with just some spikes stickin' out for grip.

Then hopefully I'll have my camera back & I can take some pics of the finished product.
It can't ride any worse than it did, I don't think?
So I'm stoked, worst case scenario, I'll have a deadly looking stick to hang on my wall.

TT

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.