Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - rocker washout???
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
HoboMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
ok thanks i've only actually been out 5 times with no instructor and went from falling on my ass to small jumps and butters all day long. so i've always asked about my steering habits no one has really corrected me. I used to be a skater so i apply a lot of my skating experience to snowboarding. and if you suggest it no i don't have enough money to get an instructor. i also noticed that "ruddering" i was catching my edge at higher speeds always falling on my ass! i guess i like all my weight on my back leg because i feel more "in control?" not that falling feeling? oh and i turn fine heel and toe i have no issues carving and taking regular turns the ruddering only happens when im trying to speed check while flying down the mountain
That "falling forward" feeling is just something you have to conquer with a lot of practice and brain programming - it's what usually holds back beginners and intermediates the most. Eventually you will be able to lean forward and it will feel natural and balanced - not etch-o-sketch. And to ride aggressively you definitely want to be able to lean forward comfortably, it's part of what's necessary to initiate hard-carves.