Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Turn & back foot issue on RC board
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Hey, what's the riding like in Argentina? I think next summer I'm going to head to South America for a week for some snowboarding...

Anyway, a couple things I can think of:

1) Check your stance width. You might be a little tall for the suggested stance width on the board. I'm the same height as you and my feet are setup about 21" (530 mm) apart (centre to centre). The +15 -15 duck stance is decent for stance angle, although a little less rear foot angle might help while you're still learning/progressing with turns. The true symmetrical duck stance is really meant to be able to ride switch easier, at the expense of some forward control. Also the 148 is a fairly narrow board. Put your boots in your bindings and rock the board onto both edges to see when your boots contact the ground. You should be able to get the board on about a 60 degree angle on both edges before anything touches.

2) It may just be the snow. If you're riding mostly hardpack and ice, you may just be having bad snow days. I've been riding for 20 years now but an icy day still makes me feel a little loose in the legs!

3) It might be the board. I hate to say this as your board is brand new, but were you renting rocker or camber boards? If you learned on a camber and then went rocker, you'll probably feel like you lost some traction and turn in. Rocker should help float in powder, and may help in the park, but otherwise on hardpack and ice a camber board will always have more control, more edge contacting the snow, etc. I guess the only way to really tell would be to swap boards with a friend for a run or two and see if your problems go away.

Have fun! I'm jealous that you're in the middle of snowboarding season...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote