Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Planning Heli-Boarding next year - Gear Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Keep in mind too that on a cat or heli trip, you will generally not be accessing the super gnarly terrain that you see in the films as they must cater to the weakest rider or skier in the group and typically blue terrain is what they take the group to with some access to more challenging terrain that guides may allow some in the group to ride.
This is good to know. I typically like doing a few "extreme" runs in a day, and obviously I like doing them at my own pace. I think hitting the untracked powder would make a cat/heli day fantastic, but I'll stick to the resort moderated (i.e. avalauncher controlled) extreme runs for my thrills.

BTW, on my last days of this year I hit a section of Lake Louise called "the ultimate steeps". These used to be permanently closed, but in recent years they've done a lot of snowpack studying in the area and now open it up on occasion. I got a pic half way down to show the slope. It's a full 100% (45 degree) slope! Felt fantastic to be in there...

Obligatory pic, and yes the camera was held parallel to the horizon.

CRAP! After seeing this pic again it reminded me that it's been two months since I've been on the snow. IT AIN'T RIGHT! I miss snowboarding!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote