Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Some secrets to learning snowboarding that I wish I knew when I was a beginner
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
MGD81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Going to chine in here on this point as an 8 year AASI instructor. AASI has in fact dropped the falling leaf from their teaching progression too for the same reasons that Snow Motion speaks about. I totally agree with your point about how and why in a lesson progression the falling leaf can do the things you speak of but what AASI has discovered is those same things can be accomplished with Garlands.

When two years ago the ski school I worked at told us to stop teaching the falling leaf I was pretty skeptical myself but in the last two years, I have found that I have had a better success rate of getting more people in group lessons linking turns in their first never ever lesson using garlands instead of leafing.

As for the personal comments about Snowmotion, you do not know their history or personal relationships they have with area mountains so you are merely working off of speculation here not fact....
A garland is a more aggressive falling leaf. To say 1 is obsolete and the other is a great teaching tool makes no sense to me. Its all about the way you teach it. I teach something probably in the middle of the two, not much flat-basing on our sideslip hill as its purposefully steep and our clients tend to be more fragile than most resorts. But the twist/fore/edge control movements are still there.

And your right, I don't know the details. I do however know that if you try and teach in CO you will get arrested, and I do know that there aren't many GM's of ski resorts that are going to be happy with you taking away their most profitable source of income.
MGD81 is offline   Reply With Quote