Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Some secrets to learning snowboarding that I wish I knew when I was a beginner
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
jdang307
Veteran Member

I think a year ago someone asked for tips on how to teach a beginner. I didn't chime in (since I'm no guru) but added my 2 cents about the falling leaf and told them, don't teach beginners the falling leaf. I think that's the worst thing to teach beginners.

Some agreed, a lot of people disagreed, but I've seen it too many times. Teach them the falling leaf and that's all they do. I know one guy who is fearless but since that's all he knows how to do he does it aggressively. Bombing blacks falling leaf style. Yes he does point is nose down so maybe it's not a pure FL but he'll point it then when he gets to fast slows down heel side goofy and regular. He's fast but it's pretty stupid looking.

I try and teach them how to ride toe side (I didn't teach them the leaf) but they refuse. Because they were going fast comfortably. Now they have to slow down and learn this thing that will cause them to fall and be nervous? So they went almost two seasons without learning to ride properly. At the tail end of season 2 they finally got it.

My wife (GF at the time) took me to Sierra at Tahoe and Keystone for my first two trips. She taught me to put on a snowboard, and to get off the lift. That's it. NO leaf nothing. So I never knew to rely on it. A lesson would have sped things up I know I know. But I'm stubborn like that. And my form probably still isn't great but I'm learning. Point being, I'm 100% happy I did not learn falling leaf. Plus that shit is tiring on your legs.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote