Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Your Snowboard Vehicle.

383K views 2K replies 556 participants last post by  speedjason 
G
#1 ·
New to the forums. Currently have a BMW 330xi as my vehicle to get to the mountain. See where that's a problem? More than a couple inches on the road and I am screwed..

Looking for input on what vehicles you all drive to the mountain. I have about 12k to put into this. Maybe more.

Thanks for input--

-Alex

#2,191 ·
I got a vehicle specifically for snowboard trips (Mammoth, Tahoe, Utah, Colorado). If you can swing it, get yourself a land cruiser -- its a beast vehicle for this use. A 4 runner is also a decent choice, but try to find one with a V8 if you can. Downside with a 4 runner is it does lack guts and honestly not that comfortable on long road trips (road noise, etc). I got a new Lexus GX 460 which is a land cruiser prado in the rest of the world, this version is lexified with leather and such. It's basically a 4 runner but with more power and comfort. Then I modified it to be an overlanding/snowboard trip rig.

Attachments

#2,222 ·
15 years later still hitting the PNW passes in my ‘05 Element sitting on BFG All Terrain T/A’s.

I was just telling a guy at work yesterday how when I’m driving my Element up to Stevens I’m constantly getting passed by the flatlanders doing 70mph, but once we get to the snow line I’m the one doing all the passing and giving a little beep beep as I pass their 10 and 2 white knuckle deer in the headlights look

#2,225 ·
15 years later still hitting the PNW passes in my ‘05 Element sitting on BFG All Terrain T/A’s.

I was just telling a guy at work yesterday how when I’m driving my Element up to Stevens I’m constantly getting passed by the flatlanders doing 70mph, but once we get to the snow line I’m the one doing all the passing and giving a little beep beep as I pass their 10 and 2 white knuckle deer in the headlights look
What kind of mileage do you get with that setup? I had a black and plastic 05 element as well, best car ever for car camping and adventuring, but when I started planning my winter roadtrip and calculating gas cost, there was no way the 17-18mpg was gonna cut it, also it was painfully slow already at 500ft of elevation, I can only imagine up at 8k feet and up! Sadly sold it for a Mazda 3, I still dream about a turbo diesel element one day though

#2,228 ·
Thats pretty good if 72k is enough, I was deciding between the mazda 3 and the Audi A3 but I knew i was gonna be piling on the mileage (i bought my mazda with 30k Oct '16 and it has 156k now May'20) and just between the maintenance cost , insurance, premium gas, deprecation, I couldnt do it, one day ill make german money!

#2,232 ·
I hear you that’s why I haven’t sold my Element, there just isn’t much out there to choose from.

I like wagons myself but the brands I like Honda/Acura and Toyota don’t make a newer AWD wagon, have you ever looked at the Honda Crosstour AWD, I’ve almost pulled the trigger on one of those, but I’d put a more aggressive wheel on it with some BFG All-Terrain T/A’s and throw my packasport on the roof. Not sure the last year they made them but you can still find clean low miles decent price on eBay V6, AWD, heated leather, sunroof, great ground clearance, incredible handling in snow and Honda quality

#2,235 ·
I loved my Honda Element. There was so much right about that car! The rubberized cavernous interior is brilliant, but I wish it had a better engine and suspension. It was a real struggle buggy getting up the Rockies, and it had the most body roll of any stock vehicle I think I've ever been in. Traction control was good, especially with snow tires- I drove seven miles down a cat track one time! It was super reliable and never let me down in the slightest.

I sold my 2010 Element, bought and built a 2007 Volvo XC90, and had money left over. Full disclaimer- my brother is a Volvo mechanic. We replaced the suspension, brakes, and motor on a shell with a blown motor. It's been driving like a new car for 25,000 miles. We made a few upgrades while we were at it (injectors, cams, turbo, exhaust, tune, brembos) and it's decently quick too.

The XC90 has been an ideal snowboarding car for me. Snow and ice traction is excellent. It stomps the Element for comfort, power and control. I just wish the interior came out and I could hose it down!

#2,240 ·
I recently picked up a Jeep to replace the Subaru. Starting to plan how to set it up for winter camping trips next season. The back with the seats folded down is shorter than the Subaru(which was basically perfect to sleep in at my height). I may have to get creative. Driving from CT to VT, NH, ME during storms will hopefully be a bit less sketchy though.

#2,241 ·
Picked up my 2005 Honda CR-V SE with 69,000 miles on it, it now has 116,000 on it, and countless trips from Long Island to VT without a single hiccup, great car in the snow.

With the racks on top I can easily fit four adults with room for gear and clothes in the back for 3-4 day trips.

Car will last way past 200,000 miles no problem, one of the best snow vehicles you can buy for the money.

Only complaints are its slow AF and the mpg could be better considering the lack of power.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Honda cr-v

#2,243 · (Edited)
Thinking about getting a Nissan NV to convert to a camper, but not sure about the rear wheel drive trying to get to the mountains?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm biased and prefer 2 wheel rwd to fwd...and in many cases even to 4wd. Grew up with rwd and learned how to drive in muddy cattle feedlots. In many cases 2 wheel rwd drive is just as effective and will keep you out of trouble (due to being over confidence) when compared to 4wd. Fwd works ok for level ground, but for going up and down, there is a more narrow window. Meaning on Fwd, going up hill, if you have to stop, it harder to get going again...and going down hill, if you have to stop, there is a tendency for your rear end to break loose and swing around...(which is also the case for rwd...but you can goose it or drop down to a lower gear and get the ass end to drag or do a power-slide...hope that makes sense). 4wd is great and works on the same principles as 2 wheel rear drive. The only advantage is that you can get some driving bite with the front tires instead of being pushed by 2 rear wd. The disadvantage is the cost and maintenance, sometimes weight of 4wd (more weight/mass to stop) and more often than not...one becomes over confidence and thus gets in to trouble more quickly. There are 3 main things to be aware of that will result in very effective winter driving to/from the mtns with 2 rear wheel drive.

1 skills and judgement...which mainly consist of driving within the limits of the snow/ice road conditions. Having good judgement, leaving plenty of space between cars (going both up and down) and patience/take your time. The secret is keep going...even just barely rolling (don't spin your tires...feather your gas pedal), that way you maintain steering control and your momentum (going up hill). Don't lock up the brakes/wheels (= no control)...instead use the drag on the engine. Best control is to have a manual transmission and if you have automatic transmission...use the gears. On AT use 2nd gear for going up and going down, use a lower gear so that you can maintain engine drag instead of using your brakes. In essence drive with your gas pedal and gears...and avoid using your brakes.

2 weight, distribute the weight evenly and some weight over your rear wheels.

3 snowtires and a set of chains for the rear...have good snow tires on all 4 tires and a set of chains for the rear. I've only put on the chains like 4 times (for only about the last 5 miles up the hill) in 18 years.

Btw just a dad that has taught my kids to drive up/down Baker, so that I can nap to and from the hill. My technique was driving them up and down the hill for years. Then would be fully awake the first time they drove up and down the hill. The second time they drove..."I'm taking a nap...get me to the hill/home in one piece...I have every confidence you can do it." That first drive often took a long time...resulting in a long refreshing nap...LoL.

edit: Get real chains, don't use the wimpy ass cables or new socks. I use the "Alpine Premier" from Les Schwab. Then drive sensibly, i.e., slow, and don't spin the wheels nor lock them up and chains will last you decades. And if you can't get through with rwd and chains, ya probably shouldn't be going. The gnarls is 4wd with chains on all 4 (which I've done when snowplowing county roads)...not many folks do that but there is not much advantage in actuality...and your better judgement should have over-ridden this option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.