Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Technical Shell Jacket Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
I've got nothing against Trew and Homeschool, but I don't consider them "true" tech wear. No Goretex, no thanks. No laminate comes close to Goretex in terms of waterproofing, breathability, and weight.

I'm with Shred too on the style, neither brand is really my style at all.
I am sorry, but that is complete bullshit. A number of other fabrics (eVent is probably the best known one, but there are others) have been generally outperforming Gore-Tex for years, most notably in terms of breathability. There is a pretty well-known study conducted by the US military a few years ago that found the same.

That said, rating fabric breathability is non-trivial - different fabrics perform differently in different conditions, not all of which are practical or realistic. For instance, a number of these membranes have their best breathability measures when completely soaked - not ideal for most applications...

Still, it is clear that there are a number of fabrics that at least rival, if not exceed, the performance of Gore-Tex (not surprising, considering that Gore-Tex was invented almost 40 years ago). Stating that "no laminate comes close to Goretex in terms of waterproofing, breathability, and weight" is demonstrably false.

This page provides a pretty good summary for some of the materials available in the market.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote