Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skrillex is a good song writer?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
CheeseForSteeze
With extra cheese.

But that arrangement is completely the stripping of the production elements and simply presents the music(songwriting). If his melodies and writing structure were poor, I think you'd find that arrangement to be uninspired.

I think Deadmau5 is horribly overrated as a producer. Random Album Title was probably one of the most bland and unimaginative albums I've heard. It was offensively inoffensive in the same way Coldplay is. That album just wandered from start to finish. He has some brilliant moments in tracks such as Strobe and Arguru but for the most part, Deadmau5's success is a confluence of timing and marketing. He got popular starting in the Trance scene right when the tech-trance experimental sound was big (circa 2006) tracks like SVD-Grasshopper where getting all sorts of playtime and when Beatport was coming into vogue as a distributor. He has an interesting, somewhat abrasive personality and that made him ripe to become the burgeoning Beatport's main poster boy since his appeal was at an all time high with wanna-be DJ's all over the globe. He won nearly every award at Beatport's first annual award, many in categories that, simply put, no objective minded listener would even consider him for.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote