Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skrillex is a good song writer?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
most music isn't "good songwriting"
Exactly...

Quote:
Jazz is the first truly antithetical music (in the Western World) to take Classical Theory and completely ignore every rule it ever made.
What? Jazz was created by negroes who "learned" classical music. They used many elements of it, adding, not ignoring.

I don't understand what you mean about the arpeggiator and all... I think we're saying kind of the same thing?

Quote:
A good song in any genre, IMO, is one you can listen to over and over and appreciate differently each time.
Yes, I agree, but also that depends on the listener. It's not something objective and measurable, like harmony and voice leading, for instance.

Quote:
Working within a framework of theory doesn't make music necessarily bad; but it will almost certainly be so if the listener doesn't step back and just hear the song as a whole.
Again, I don't understand what you mean. First of all, I completely agree with the first part of the sentence, but then you put focus on the listener... The listener might hear or not the song as a whole independently of how the composer sat down and put it together... Again "it depends on the listener".

Working within a framework of concious theory (even if you don't know you're doing it, you're always carrying some theory baggage, it's impossible to escape what others have done) intends for you to achieve some kind of unity in a given piece. If you're making a song, the fact that it is ONE son has to be determined by some relation of the events that happen in it... even if they're opposite or contrasting (First of the year has contrasting events, for example, but they work as a unity for sure).

The fact that the listener can determine if something is either good or bad is highly debatable... What i won't argue with is that the listener can say if they like/dislike something. But something being liked, and something being good... two completely different things.

Do you really think that Blink 182 and Skrillex are far appart regarding innovation, risk and creativity?
This particular song by skrillex repeats the same chord progression like 10 times..!
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote