Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Feedback on turning
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
beall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I heard about this trick and I don't know if it's any good but go on a bunny run, and take your back foot out of binding and put it on a stomp pad or something.

That way you can't rudder and you get a feel for using the front foot to steer because it's the only thing attached to the board. You can try this without taking your back foot out of the binding as well.

Steering with the front foot is pretty easy and quite enlightening when you do it. For me I just went down an easy run (soft conditions without huge rocks help). Pretend there is a cockroach under your toes. Step on it.Magically the board will turn. Do the same with your heel.

Regarding cat tracks yeah they're scary as hell. There is one at Snow Summit that's like 3 feet wide. It's so narrow that beginners end up shooting it straight (scared to do any turns for fear of flying off the side). I looked back once after a turn and saw my buddy literally riding up the wall and basically landing on his head because he didn't/couldn't turn.
Actually that is a great idea unstrapping your back foot binding and stearing with your front foot. I discovered while getting off a lift and and slying down on a flat surface I notice that I can ride longer and more stable by controlling my heel and toe side. Pretty much your front foot do all the works. Before I was scared point the board downward and now I can do wide turns and not afraid of leaning downhill. I think once you pass that stage, you are pretty much have confident enough for turns.
beall is offline   Reply With Quote