Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - all-terrain rocker or hybrid?!
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Respect that this is your opinion, but I completely disagree. There is absolutely no need to start on camber and, in fact, there probably is no need for the majority of people to ride cambered boards at all any longer (other than to try/demo/mess around with, of course).
Now, unlike Snowolf I am not ready to declare camber basically dead - I believe that there some applications for which camber is still the best solution (e.g., groomer carving). Problem is that the inherent limitations of camber mean that for most people camber boards are too much of one-trick ponies that do not match the preferred overall riding profile.
Rocker obviously also has its limitations but some of the specific concerns have been addressed through developments in board technology (e.g., edge hold with Magnetraction, Variogrip, etc.) and overall rocker appears to match the desired riding profile of many people quite well. Companies like Arbor make excellent all-mountain rocker boards .
Also, hybrid camber profiles have evolved to the point where they are not just a compromise between camber and rocker but truly the best of both worlds, combining the advantages of camber and rocker without too much of the downsides.

5-10 years ago a soft camber board would have been a good beginner board. It is still not a bad choice, but these days I would almost always advise somebody who is just starting out to go with a rocker or even hybrid board.
For a few people their riding style might evolve in a way that makes camber the best option at some point, but until then and for everybody else there really is no good reason any longer to live with the limitations of camber.
I agree with you, its just two different entry points in to the sport...like learning to drive with an automatic verses a stick and then moving on to paddle shifting. Camber and rocker both have limitations and are both abit of a 1 trick pony...I just like the camber trick of bombing, snaping cross-unders and popping off little nattys better than the rocker trick.

OP just goes to more to whats your style preference, what do you want to learn, how aggressive are you and the terrain you have available to ride. Terrain is a huge part of how you develop...you are what you ride.