Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Started a snowboarding site
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
IdahoFreshies
Land of the Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
3 things.

1) As everyone else said, get rid of the falling snow. It's annoying and it slows down your site's loading time.

2) If you want to grow, show personality in your writing, be honest and put up content people want to read about.

There's 2 ways to go about blogging:

option 1: you need amazingly epic snowboard information and content that no one has seen before or is 100 times higher quality than anything else out there. If you go this route you can post whenever you want as long as each blog is epic.

option 2: You make good content, not mindblowingly amazing blogs and reviews but decent stuff and you do it regularly. This means if you pick 3 times a week, you need to have new decent blogs up 3 times a week, no slacking and skipping. Stick to your schedule once it's set.

Your blog should have a clear, useful purpose. If you don't have one then you need to be an amazingly interesting, funny person that can carry a blog on personality alone.

If you're in this just to have somewhere to vent random snowboard thoughts then just ignore the whole 2nd point since this all had to do with growing a blog audience.

3) This third point is important: grow a thicker skin and stop becoming defensive and childish when you get negative comments.

The moment angrysnowboarder said anything negative you turned defensive and starting attacking him. Don't do that.

If your blog somehow beats the odds and becomes one of the few blogs that survives and starts attracting decent traffic then you'll start running into the occasional negative comment. You'll need a thicker skin if you want to survive.

People will judge you not only on how you handle good comments, but also how you handle negative comments.
Very good points! OP: like I said earlier, you should really organize the site better. You have a section for home, go pro footage, a few for about us, and a music one. Once you start getting content up there you can't just throw it all in the home page. So break it up and have some organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
OP-You could do some blogs on such subjects as

Shaun White and why he's not good for the sport,

Moving to a snow town to be a snow carney,

Tips on "so you want to turn pro",

How Burton is not a core company,

You know, all relevant subjects that no one has covered yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
^ Are you just suggesting things I wrote about it the last year?
ROFL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote