Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - My Special Snake Oil Has 'Molecules'!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
HoboMaster

It's all about praying on the lack of knowledge which stupid people have, and using that to your advantage in order to manipulate them.

We've already seen tons of advertising trends since consumerism got real mass-media-ee. It goes in cycles, because eventually even the stupid people realize they are just being fed bullshit. I stopped watching TV a long time ago, but I know one of the real big strategies right now is "Greenwashing".

Look on most consumer items today and there will be some sort of plug on the product about how "Blah blah and blah is a green initiative company and this thing is made out of blah blah % recycled paper". If you read between the lines, most of the time they are just spinning words, and the product is no less green than it ever has been.

My favorite was a jar of Planters peanuts made out of plastic. Here was the greenwashing plug:

"This container uses 30% less material than the old version!"

Fine print: "Material is based on weight". Guess what the old version was made out of? Glass. Of course glass is fucking heavier than plastic.